We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Ocho RIos Damage

We are leaving for Riu Ocho Rios on September 6th and I was wondering if they received any damage from Gustav. Anyone know?

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Wondering the same thing as we arrive a day before you on the 5th. I heard though that Ocho Rios did not suffer major damage.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Hi

I spoke with realtives in the area and so far mostly heavy rain.

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Spoke with a representative of Sunset Jamaica Grande Ochie - No Damage. Happy Travels.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Spoke with relatives moments ago - No Damage!

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Good to know. Now as long as the new tropical storm(Hanna) doesnt curve back around we may be okay. Every time the track gets updated the cone seems to get closer. I guess it is too early to worry about that one though as the predictions for the paths of these thing this year seem way off. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

I just got an email regarding my RIU OCHO RIOS stay and they said due to severe weather, they cannot honor my stay. I'm suppose to leave on August 31st. I'm totally bummed.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Sapphirinia

Sorry to hear that. Sunset at the Palms did the same to another poster. They canceled her reservation

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

Interesting regarding Sunset at The Palms - I was told by a Sunset Rep that all Sunset Resorts are up and running smoothly, so I wonder why that person's reservation was cancelled.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

I have learned the hard way that you take everything with a grain of salt. Her post stated SATP was closed.

Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Ocho RIos Damage

So after calling multiple numbers and getting transferred a million times. I finally got in touch w/ RIU and they told me that they are definitely open. And the only way that will stop me from going there is if the airport is closed. I was told by Exped that the airports are open again so I think I'm ok.

I'm sorry if I have caused anyone to worry or anything like that. It's just that a few moments ago, I was hysterical because I thought I wouldn't be able to go and have to lose out on the airfare. So now I feel a little better.

*sigh*

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations