We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
426 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

My DH & I are looking into visiting Jamaica in a month.

We are looking at both the SGOR & the SDR & also possibly the RIU Ocho Rios.

We have never been to Jamaica & are not completely set on anywhere in particular. We are just looking for a great resort. We like to have a variety of dining options, fantastic pools & great beaches.

If we stay at the SDr we are looking at any rooms up the Grand Luxe honeymoon & at the SGOR any rooms up the Plantation honeymoon villa w/ pool.

California
Level Contributor
519 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

We have stayed at SDR and visited SGOR. Personally we wouldn't choose to stay at SGOR because we do not like the split layout of the resort. There are people who really like it though so maybe they will comment.

We like the intimate feel of SDR. the pizza in the piazza at lunch and the tree bar at night. We had a Grande Luxe Ocean View room which overlooked the piazza and on to the water. We like the location and had a big balcony.

The only thing is you aren't going to get your great beaches. We felt SDR had a nice beach area, but it isn't big enough to take along walk or anything.

Personally for a vacation alone with my husband I would choose Sandals over RIU because it is couples only.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

hi Tracy,

"We have never been to Jamaica & are not completely set on anywhere in particular. We are just looking for a great resort. We like to have a variety of dining options, fantastic pools & great beaches."

three words...

Grand Lido Negril

All-suites, best beach on the island, best dining on the island, more dining options than any other resort, top-notch service and amenities, 24 hour full menu room service...

The only "weakness" is that the pools are just average.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

London, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

We stayed at SGOR, but spent a lot of time at SDR.SGOR is a bit cheaper and with the Sandals dine around thing, you can get to SDR in about 15 minutes and spend most of the day/evening there-no problem!SDR is a bit more impressive and the beach is a bit bigger.You can eat at both resorts, so there are loads of dining options(some better than others!)Enjoy Jamaica.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

Thanks for your help, we have just booked Sandals Whitehouse this afternoon & we leave in 2 1/2 wks. We are so excited!!

The Whitehouse seemed to be more remote & romantic & we got a fantastic deal. Jamaica here we come!

California
Level Contributor
519 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

Congrats on your great deal! I think you made a great choice. SWH is our favorite and you are spot on with the remote and romantic feel. Have fun!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

Great choice! That's an AMAZING resort you will have a fabulous time! We leave in 2 and half weeks to from Toronto!! Maybe I'll see you in the Sandals lounge or at the airport :) lol

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

We leave Oct 3. Which Sandals are you staying at?

Itasca, Illinois
Level Contributor
265 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

Sandals Dunns River would be my choice and we have stayed at both. SGOR is too large and need a shuttle depending on how where your room . Food portions way too small and not the same quality or service as SDR.

The Riu is next to SDR and looked like a cheap version with a very young crowd. Just my opinion.

Good Luck and you will LOVE Jamaica. Once you go, you know :).

9. Re: SGOR or Sandals Dunn RIver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations