We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios or Negril

Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ocho Rios or Negril

We are think about staying at the Riu either the one in Ocho Rios or the Negril Club at the beginning of December.

Have not been to Negril in 30 years when there was only 2 hotels and that beach was one of the most beatiful beach we have been to,but it also didn't have all the hotels on it then.

I would appreciate feedback on the hotels and the beaches from someone who has been to both.

Thank you

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

We just got back from Riu Ocho Rios on 09/13. We enjoyed the resort. Never stayed at the Riu in Negril only Sandals. We do prefer Negril to Ocho Rios. The beach is much better in Negril and it seems like less of a tourist town.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

Hey there,

I have been in Negril and Ochos Rios - but at the Sandals Resorts. I prefer Negril hands-down! The beach is better, the water is warmer and the atmosphere is totally laid back! LOVE Negril! Either way, you will be in Jamaica, so it's all good!!

Happy travels!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

While I haven't been to the Negril Riu, it's a given that beaches are better in Negril (Tropcial Bay should be opening back up by December, (adult only Palace property) i believe it is on the nicer stretch of beach)...

I enjoyed ROR, and the beach is while not Negril, not horrible by any means (it stretches on a distance further to the West and is probably near a mile in entirety (can't really walk to the East, there's the Sandals directly next door)...

if you are looking to get out and explore a lot what you need from the immediately surrounding area (less than 15-20 min drive) will probably determine which is the better choice for you...

Negril has an abundance restaurants, bars ect, some nightlife (much geared toward tourists)... you also have the cliffs here to give you a different flavour from the beach...

Ocho Rios has an more "excursions" in the area (Dunns River, Mystic Mountain, Chukka Cove and adventure tours (Horseback riding, ATV, Zip Cording etc), 9-mile (bob marley memorial (nearby), and a handful more... along with a few restaurants, bars and some nightlife (a little more local geared while still tourist friendly)

if you're looking to get out and see and do stuff, Ochi is your place if you want to eat and drink stuff, Negril is your place... if you just want to relax at the hotel, they are probably fairly comparable, ROR is newer, beaches in Negril are better, add Tropical Bay to the list and you probably have the best of both worlds (but you may have re-opening hiccups)...

Hope that helps some

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

Me and the wife were having the same discussion. We want to go to Jamaica next year and was trying to decide where to go. We are the adventurous type and the description you gave helped us tremendously. Now I think we're set on going to Ocho Rios. It seems the popular place for the young crowd is Riu but we've heard good things about Breezes too.

Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

agree with what chelle says about lots of places to visit near there. And runway bay area is great where breezes is. Not stayed at that hotel but the area is lovely and you wont be far from places to visit in/near ocho rios and surrounding areas

Prince Frederick...
Level Contributor
358 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

Hi funinthesun60,

I have seen that many people ask the question about staying in Ocho Rios or Negril. I have been to both, went to Negril last November, going to Ocho Rios this month. For the second time. I must admit that Negril has the best beach, it is on the west end, and flat land. I personally love to open the door and look out at the mountain view. And I do agree that Negril is much more laid back then Ocho Rios. No matter when you decide to stay, you will have a wonderful vacation. I am on the count down to paradise. Leaving the 15th.

7. Re: Ocho Rios or Negril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 10:19
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now