We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather warning - hurricane??

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Enland
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
weather warning - hurricane??

Hi all

went onto the national hurricane centres website this morning and there is some bad weather just south of jamaica, they have said the upper winds are favourable for cyclones and the threat is between 20% and 50%

any ideas how likely this is to change and hit jamaica as i fly out tomorrow for 2 weeks

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

No problem mon Enjoy your vacation!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

inital tracking does not have it impacting Jamaica... this could change moving forward... if you can get online during your stay, try checking

www.stormcarib.com

to get a caribbean-focused outlook on the system...

it is still hurricane season, so anything is possible... enjoy, but be aware, prepared and diligent...

Chelle

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

Manutddutchess,

Go enjoy your trip, that system is so far south of Jamaica and headed to land that it will be of no concern to you. This is not the time of the year for hurricanes and all that shows on the website is that there "could" be a storm, nothing else.

On a lighter note, I think it is quite cute that you actually think anyone can predict if it is going to change.

Burlington
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

There are some good extended 15 day forecast for Ocho Rios on Accuweather.com.

www.accuweather.com/world-index.asp…

If you go to international weather at the top of the web page and then type in Ocho Rios you get a local forecast which comes up - click on extended forecast - hope the hurricane/storm misses Ja. - they have already had enough damage for one year - haven't seen anything about this storm on the news wires....As my grandfather used to say in Florida after it got very late in the Hurricane season - and after they used the letter 'T' for the the naming of the storm...."Hope we don't have anyomore hurricanes...We are already up to our 'S's' in hurricanes (LOL)

Bofo

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

We found the most-accurate forecasts for tropical disturbances to at "weatherunderground.com".

Unfortunately, looks like their Chief Hurricane expert, Dr. Jeff Masters, is predicting a high probability of impact upon Jamaica for this coming Sunday.

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

Where are you seeing this info.?....I went to wunderground.com and could not finnd ANYTHING about a looming tropical storm scheduled for Sunday.

I'm in Duncans Bay, Trelawny and we have had ALOT of rain today but I haven't heard anything about a storm this weekend....please elaborate....thanks

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

You need to go to Dr. Jeff Masters "WunderBlog Forecast" which is found to the right side of the main page forecast map. For further information including projected paths, you can also click on the "tropical/hurricane" link from "features" area on the top of the main page.

The name for this current tropical disturbance is "Caribbean 93L".

Burlington
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

Went to weather underground and they said the low cell has potential for tropical storm development -

but didn't say too much about a HURRICANE...Here is what they said below:

Invest 93

Wind: 30 MPH — Location: 13.7 81.9W — Movement: NW

This area of disturbed weather has the potential for tropical development.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

Read Dr Jeff Masters "WunderBlog" on right hand side of page. He predicts 4o% chance of this becoming a hurricane and reaching Jamaica by Sunday!..ugh...I'm due to fly there on Monday for a vacation. Hope he's wrong!

10. Re: weather warning - hurricane??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 20:16