We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande OR

New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande OR

Is Sandals Grande Ocho Rios directly next to the Riu Ocho Rios???

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande OR

No, dunns is

New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande OR

Oh, ok - thanks! I was just wondering because I stayed at the Riu in June 08 and saw the Sandals next door and it looked a little run down. Looking to book a trip for Feb09 and the SGOR looks great. Any resort recommendations? 2 couples looking - age 26.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande OR

It is actually the exact opposite. SGOR has been doing a lot of work to update the property but some of the rooms and facilities are not yet up to standards.

Sandals Dunn's River was completely shut down, renovated, and reopened in Feb. 2006, so it is in very good shape.

As for suggestions on where you four should go, that depends on what is important to you. Are you looking for a great beach or is a fabulous pool more important? Couples or adult only? Small, intimate property or large and spread out? Are you looking for extra luxury and pampering or just a room to lay your head at night? Are you party people or just looking to relax?

All things to consider before making suggestions...

IrieLady

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande OR

In all fairness you can not judge or come to that conclusion just from looking at the outer back side of the resort. After all what outer side of any resort looks nice. It is actually a very nice resort. When your at SGOR make sure to take the shuttle down & see for yourself. You will be quite surprised

New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande OR

Irie Lady -

So much goes into choosing a resort my head is spinning. We are two couples, age 27, looking to relax and have a good time.

Whats important to us:

(1) Good quality food and drink is a must. Stayed at Couples Swept Away and the food and drink were top of the line. Stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios and the food and drink were just ok.

(2) Nice Beach/Pool are always something we look for. But I feel like most resort meet our requirements.

(3) We prefer the resort to be a decent size. We want to feel like there are other people around doing what we are doing and enjoying themselves.

Basically what it comes down to is we drink and eat all day and night. We tend to lay by the beach in the AM and change to the pool for the late afternoon. We go away to relax and unwind during the day and party it up at night.

Now, who can tell me which resort in Jamaica I am going to find all this??

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande OR

Breezes Runaway Bay is a decent choice and so would Sandals Montego Bay (known as the "party resort" of the Sandals resorts).

Sandals Grande Ocho Rios is fun and has some night life but Sandals Dunn's River is considered a more active resort than SGOR.

Another factor would be price. How much are you looking to spend. Of course, having stayed at Swept Away, you know that you get what you pay for. There are budget rooms to be had but they are going to be less desirable in location and amenities.

IrieLady

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande OR

We have been to SGOR 2 times and are going back this Feb. We have been to Dunns as well. Both are great..but SGOR is a bit larger. This provides many options for food, pools, entertainment, etc. Both are great and you will have a great time. We are about the same age as your group and found lots to do at SGOR. I would recommend the concierge level or higher ate either so you get the stocked in room bar, quicker check in, and you will have no problem making a reservation at the other resort for specific restraunts if you choose to go.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande OR

Stocked in room bar? Do not all rooms have a frig with beverages???

What about wifi on the resort and in the rooms?

9. Re: Sandals Grande OR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations