We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

What day of the week/time of day is best to go to the falls? Would like to avoid the large crowds.

Anyway to find out which days cruise ships arrive?

Thanks!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

I used to know a really good schedule that tells when any cruise ships will be in port, but I can't seem to find it.

I did find another calendar, but I don't know how accurate or inclusive it is...the one I used to know of included days, times, etc. We planned our Ochee activities around it and it worked great...we didn't run into any cruise ship crowds.

Anyway, here's one I found...

www.tourochorios.com/cruise-schedule.html

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

Hi,

does anyone know how much admission costs are currently?

Also, how much are the lockers?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

We went at Opening time, (9 or 10am?? ) and were practically the only ones in there..we could walk around and not see anyone at all....the vendors were just opening their shops.....when we left the crowds were arriving.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

Opening Hours

Regular 8.30 a.m - 4.00 p.m

Cruise Ship Days (Wed, Thu, Fri)

7.00 a.m - 4.00 p.m

*Last "Falls Climb" begins at 4:00pm

Fees

Non-Resident

Adult US$15.00 (or J$ equiv.)

Child US$12.00 (or J$ equiv.)

(Ages 2-11 years)

Edmonton. Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

We visited Dunn Falls on a day the cruise ships were in port. When we arrived around 2:15 the parking lot was full of buses and I was a little concerned, but once we got to the bottom of the falls to start our climb it wasn’t as busy as I had expected. I think we must have just hit the end of the cruise excursions as most ships leave the port around 4:30 – 5:00.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

i think i remember lockers being around 3US + a key deposit (5US I think)... i haven't been in over a year tho

Chelle

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
542 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

We went on a Sunday morning about 10:00 and there was no buses at all in the parking lot, just a few cars and vans....It was really nice to have the falls to ourselves (and our guide)....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

i'd just like to say that i've climbed the falls a half dozen times or so, at various times of the day, various days of the week, never really caring who else is there, some days i guess there were large groups, i remember once me and my girlfriend were about the only ones there (this happened to be after closing time, they were closing when we arrived but let us go thru b/c we were cute :) )

i've never linked arms and climbed as a group... in not doing that, i've really never noticed the crowds... maybe they'd be bothersome to others but i find that as a rule they tend to stick more to the east or left side of the falls, so me (and whoever i've been with) always (unless lazy and wanted a quick way up) stuck to the right or west.. the falls are wide enough that it just doesn't become an interference from my experience... the last time i climbed the falls there was a ship in, and tons of groups passed us.. we just watched and smiled and waved as we piddled around in some pool area, looking for caves and whatnot.. took us nearly 3 hours to climb the falls (most groups take about 20min)... never once bothered me.... we avoided the craft area completely without issue... probably the most fun i've had on the falls to date and the ships made no difference what so ever...

if you go with a group of friends to have a fun day, it is what YOU make it, what others are doing will likely have no bearing on that...

at least that's been my experiences :)

Chelle

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunn's River Falls-best time to go?

Good post Chelle,

I'm the same way about not holding hands, climbing with a group, etc. I agree with you about 95%...only because I don't care how "in my own little world" I am, it's cooler if there are fewer people around. Whenever I go I certainly at least make an effort to go during the less busy times...now, I also don't let it affect my trip if it happens to be busy, but I prefer the slower times.

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations