We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Ocho rios

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Ocho rios

Going to the riu for two weeks june / july how bad is booking meals also what the beach keepfit like .

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Ocho rios

Booking the a la carte restaurants can be a bit of a hassle. Afterall, who wants to wake up early when they are on vacation. I have stayed at the ROR twice and loved it both times. I believe the a la carte restaurants are worth the hassle. Reservations are from 8am to 4pm however, if you don't get there by 830am - I would say you are out of luck. I woke up each morning at 8am and got down to the lobby and in line by 815. I was always able to get a reservation to the restaurant I wanted. It was always the later sitting (it's either 6 or 9 I believe) but that was what worked best for us anyways. If you decide to do it once or twice I would recommend the steakhouse, the japanese restaurant, and Sir Richard. They are my top 3. The buffet is very repetive and can get very boring over the course of your vacation. Plus it's crowded and noisy. The beach is well maintained. The staff walks around all day long picking up cups. There are other vacationers that will leave their plates all over the place but with a resort this size, it's bound to have a few rude guests! Have fun!

Keswick
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Ocho rios

I was there last May and I was able to book my reservation over the telephone. We were allowed 3 per 7 day stay and I just booked all 3 at once for the week. If you are staying for 2 weeks you are probably allowed more. I believe the number is in the information booklet that is provided in your room. You can also get it by calling the front desk. I started calling about 5 mins before 8am. I noticed that the line was busy. I continued to press re- dial until I got through. It took me about 5 mins to get through. Do not bother with the Mandalay( chinese). It was buffet style and was gross. I don't remember the others that we went to, but they were good. They have theme nights at the buffet and there are 3( I think). St. annes, mamme bay( by the beach) and another one. The food was fairly good. Dessert options were delicious. As for the beach, it was ok. The sand was nice and the water was clearest when there was less wind. There was always a breeze when I was there for the entire week. Apparently because of where the beach was located, the trade winds always blow. Now Watch out for the guys on the water bikes. They were rather annoying. Just ignore them. They will call you over and try to get you to rent a ride. DO NOT make eye contact, unless you are interested. If you get a chance, visit Negril. The famous 7 mile beach. It was stunning!!! White soft sand and shallow crystal clear water. I hear that you can make arrangements to spend time at the Riu,Negril because it's the same chain, apparently there's no extra cost( confirm this with front desk).

I am not an expert on Jamaica, but that week I barely spent any time in the hotel. My boyfriend is from there so we did a lot of exploring. I will be happy to give you any advice or information. :)

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Ocho rios

Hi there, how was the weather when you guys were there last May?We are going this May and heard it was the start of the rainy season.Thanks.R&T.

Keswick
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Ocho rios

Yes it is the start of rain season. The heaviest rains start in september though. Hurricane season runs from June to November. We did get a few light showers for a few days and only one full day of rain. There was so much to do, so the weather didn't bother me too much. It might have bothered me if I just stayed at the resort everyday. I was all over Jamaica!!! The Jamaicans call the rain liquid sunshine! If you haven't been to Jamaica before, I have to warn you... If anyone comes up to you to try to sell wares or services, Politely say " no thank you" and walk away.

Even if they are calling you over just to talk... they are usually trying to sell something. My boyfriend was offered drugs throughout our stay. I couldn't believe how agressive they were. The tourist towns are like that. I went to Kingston and was not bothered at all by anyone. Just keep your gaurd up if you decide to go into town. Have a good trip!!!

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Ocho rios

Hi there again, thank-you so much for your reply.Glad to hear it's not too rainy at this time.We know all about the locals trying to sell you things.This is our first time to Jamaica but, we've been to different parts of Mexico and the Carribean so, we kinda know what how to say no.At least I do anyway.LOL.My husband has a hard time with that.We are real sun people so, hopefully it doesn't rain too much.Anyway, thank-you for your reply.R&T.

6. Re: Riu Ocho rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 20:17