We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax?

Superbea
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Departure Tax?

I have read that I need to have some cash on hand when we leave Jamaica for some kind of a tax. What is this all about and how much does it cost?

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax?

We were in Jamaica last year. and there is no departure tax what so ever. U will have a blast.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax?

There is a new surcharge that was introduced as of March 1st. for any flights booked prior to that date of $5 US. Exact change is required and is collected at the departures area. Flights booked after March 1st. has the surcharge included in your fare.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax?

depends on where you are coming from...

most North American airlines have it included within their fares (if you purchased a ticket before March 1 there may be a new airport tax of 2.50 USD or 3.00CAD that is imposed)...

in the UK not all airlines have it included (I believe charters do not)... last I heard it was 1000J or 18US but this may have been adjusted as 1000J is more like 12ish US these days!...

not sure about other countries and how they bundle their fees..

Chelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax?

BP i'm pretty sure it's 2.50 US (or 3.00 CAD) for North American passengers... not sure if UK passengers have this bundled in or have to pay on top of that 18US (?)...

Chelle

Coventry
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax?

It depends who you travel with. First Choice include it but Tomsons dont.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax?

We just got back Saturday and flew US Air out of Pennsylvania. We were not asked to pay anything on departure or arrival.

We booked these tickets back in November.

Maybe it doesn't apply to the US???

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax?

Chell00, you are right on the $3 CDN.

crazdtow, this was discussed several weeks ago and Americans were paying the tax too. Posts on negrl.com said the same thing. Maybe things have changed yet again in Jamaica.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax?

or maybe it's just inconsistient chaos... in other words, business as usual... at the same time the original thread was posted, it seemed to be close to a 50/50 split of people who said they paid and people who said they didn't (and didn't seem to be related to when the ticket was purchased)...

this is why i try to never use the words "need", "must" or "will" but rather "should" "may" or "might" when it comes to discussing jamaica :)

i say have the money on hand and if you don't need it, use it to purchase a treat in duty free (if you have the full 22US, you've got enought to purchase 2 bottles of rum :)

Chelle

Windsor, WI
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax?

There is a departure tax for US citizens, but sounds like it can/may be included in your airfare (mine was in February, so nothing due at departure...I would check w/ your airline to see if it's included):

Visitors must have a return ticket and be able to show sufficient funds for their visit. U.S. citizens traveling to Jamaica for work or extended stays are required to have a current U.S. passport and visa issued by the Jamaican Embassy or a Jamaican Consulate. There is a departure tax for travelers, which is regularly included in airfare. For further information, travelers may contact the Embassy of Jamaica at 1520 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036, telephone (202) 452-0660; the Jamaican Consulate in Miami or New York; honorary consuls in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Seattle or Los Angeles. Visit the Embassy of Jamaica web site at www.embassyofjamaica.org for the most current visa information.

Superbea
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax?

Thanks for all of your input! I'll make sure to have some cash on me just in case. :)