We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what size is ocho rios

uk
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what size is ocho rios

I have read a few reviews describing ocho rios as a city, is it that big? we cant decide between ocho rios at the sunset grand or a place in antigua (getting good prices for both at the moment). but we do not like big citys at all. We do like things the size of george town in grand cayman and the gap in barbados but not too much bigger. Can someone who knows the area give me a comparison. What is jamaiaca like for drivingabout in to see the place are there many no go areas that we could accidently land in. We like to get out and explore with our kids ages 12 and 16, but don't like to take risks when they are with us.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what size is ocho rios

ocho rios is a small city/town, less than 100k people, many work in tourism and most live in communities back in the hills a bit, it has a busy, chaotic downtown core (no skyscrapers or anything, i actually think sunset grande is the tallest building in town)..

the fact that it is home to a cruise ship dock makes it a bit more chaotic (this isn't far from the Grande)... but it is in good proximity to a great deal of active and popular excursions, which makes it one of my favourite destinations to recommend... many of the places to see/things to do are close...

I'd say central Ocho Rios is a little bigger and more chaotic to the gap, but not quite as big as bridgetown (although it can seem as chaotic as it's a smaller area)... the immediate area is IMO much more scenic than the gap, it's framed by the hills/mountains (the mountains are increasingly more dramatic as you head east on the island) and plenty of rivers/waterfalls to take in (dunns river being the most famous, but there are many others)... much more dramatic and beautiful landscape than barbados (even east coast doesn't really compare IMO, and i love barbados :) )

tourist jamaica is a safe place to be for those who use the same common sense they would in any strange place... there are areas to avoid, but these are primarily in Kingston and vicinity, and Montego Bay... in the ochi area there are small pockets of residential areas that are a tad rough, they aren't all that easy to find and there just isn't any reason to go to these areas at all, so i wouldn't worry... staying to the main streets or familiar areas after dark is a good idea... but that probably goes for just about any strange place

Jamiaca is large and best explored with a driver (or some prefer in a tour), driving there, if you're not familiar with it, can be challenging at best... a driver will take great care of you and ensure that you not only stay to very safe areas, but also that you get the most out of your excursions, adding value each step of the way... and the cost is usually comparable to car rental fees... many enjoy organized tours too... they are just a little less flexible...

hope that helps some

Chelle

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what size is ocho rios

I agree with Chell's comparison to Barbados - In my opinion, if you want something similar to the Gap - look at Negril, not Ocho Rios -

I would also say hire a driver - much easier and cheaper than trying to drive yourself.

uk
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what size is ocho rios

It looks nice in all the photos so I am tempted, but I know that to us our nearest town 6 miles away seems about as large as we like to be in and it only has 15k people so I think that this may not be the place for us, if we cant drive out to quiter places most days very easily. It just that we are trying to meet the needs of everyone in the family and we know that the hotel (although not realy what my husband and I would choose would suit the needs of my girls esp the older one). Unfortunatly its is only this place in jamaica that is coming up very cheeply (afforable) or I would look at other resorts. Looks like its back to the planning board for me

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what size is ocho rios

Check out Grand Bahia - rates are cheaper than SJG - also check Grand Pineapple in Negril - smaller AI - but you can walk to lots of other spots, while still having the AI option.

Also, look at negrilinfo.com - some hotels do AI optional packages.

uk
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what size is ocho rios

I was getting an amazing price for the sg for 2 weeks in oct school holidays for £2900 includding flights ,tranfers, and all in acc in sea view room for 2A &2C (16 &12) from UK - nothing else seems close.

6. Re: what size is ocho rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 01:18