We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused anout SJG

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
823 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Confused anout SJG

Ok.. so I'm a travel junky.. and I read every new review that comes out. But it seems like 3 good reviews,3 bad reviews all in a row. All of these people were there at the exact same time. What should I believe. I'm going for my wedding..with family. Anyone who has been there recently, if they can give me some insight on the rooms..cabana rooms,food, staff. It would be highly appreciated.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused anout SJG

hi

i have recently been there just last week, im also confused about the reviews as i was there the exact same time as the latest negative review and all my experiences were positive,

i cant give you an insight into the cabana rooms as i didnt stay in one, but the room we had was an upgraded one in the south tower which we found to be good,

the food was better this time than last year, we found there to be a good wide selection to suit most peoples taste at the buffet,

and theres the speciality ones that you can book, as well as the burgers/pizza/jerk pork & chicken available at the 2 bar areas by the pool.

The staff really made our holiday this year, we made some good friends and never once did we have any reason to complain about anybody being rude or un helpfull.

all i would say is go with an open mind and enjoy your time there, if your the sort of person who complains about the slightest thing, then no matter which hotel you book im sure you would find something negative,

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused anout SJG

I stayed in a Cabana room in March, so you can read my review. They were doing some work on them, so hopefully they are improved - To me, it was just a room, the advantage was not having to be in the high rise building.

As you can see from my review, we had clothes stolen from our room - so if you are in a Cabana room, please be sure to lock up valuables and make sure your doors, etc... are always locked - even if you just go to the bathroom.

As for the resort - the food was good - the specialty restaurants were excellent - the hotel serves far more Jamaican dishes on the buffet than any other AI I have been to - personally, I loved that, but others that are not used to JA food might not be so happy. The hotel is beautiful, and for the most part the staff was great (except for the security).

I did see a wedding while there, it was absolutely beautiful.

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
887 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused anout SJG

I agree with nanks.No Worries!

Montreal
Level Contributor
823 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused anout SJG

Thanks all for your comments. I will from now on take the bad reviews with a grain of salt.

I'm the type that decided to go on a solo trip, went to cuba for the cheapness, and stay at a 3* (IN CUBA) and I was very pleased. Mainly because my vacation was what I made out of it. So I always go with an open mind.

Thanks for the insight on the wedding.. a little worrisome not be able to plan or see anything until the day before your wedding. But it is after all one of the reason I choose distination. So I wouldn't have to worry about these things!

Thanks again so much guys! :)

Palm Beach County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused anout SJG

Take EVERY review that is completely one sided, whether good or bad, with a big grain of salt. Trip Advisor is a wonderful resource for travelers, but they just don't have the technical ability to know when a rave review is posted by a Sandals employee, a travel agent or a marketing firm that has a financial stake.

Frommer's, one of the most respected travel reviewers in the world for decades, has documented this trend on more than one occasion.

Let's face it, whether it's a resort or a restaurant, nobody is perfect. The great majority of my travel experiences have been great. But even those places I've loved, if I feel something could be improved, even a minor point, I will write about it. Not to be fussy or negative, but in the hope that management reads it and might learn from it. I'm in a service industry and I value feedback from my clients in order to continue to improve.

After some time on this site, I've learned to spot the false reviews because they have some very common elements to them. Those with financial stakes are also easy to spot on the forums as well.

Just hang in there and if you are disappointed with a destination, take the time to make your feelings known. If you write a detailed and thorough review explaining why you feel that way, you will help many people. If you were happy, do the same, but don't be afraid to mention the small points that you felt could be improved.

6. Re: Confused anout SJG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:17