We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
No Cal
14 posts
Save Topic
Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Right now we are booked at Grand Palladium at Riveria Maya, Mexico for next week. I'm reading the posts from people just getting back from there and every one of of them says the pools are so cold, no one was using them.

(Why are they so cheap as to not heat the pools in the winter?? seems like marketing 101 to me!)

I still have a few days left to cancel Mexico with no penatly and change the destination to someplace warmer and more understanding of why I go on vacation.

We have been to Sandals and Couples many times in the summer months, but never in the cold dead of winter like now.

Are there any good AI's in Jamacia with heated outdoor pools?

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

My experience with my own pool in Jamaica has been that the pool water really doesn't get cold until sometime in January & into February... even then the water temp will depend on a few things such as how much rainfall there is & in the case of hotel pools if they get full sun all day or if the pool is getting some shade during the day.

There may be a resort or two that may have a heated pool but that is not the norm in Jamaica... electricity is very, very expensive in JA.

If you were coming next week I should think you'll still find the pool water to be quite refreshing (unheated) but not cold.

Yesterday, I took a dip in our pool in Runaway Bay at dusk... it was quite pleasant :)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Mexico isn't as hot as Jamaica for one.

Cheap? ....wow....umm other priorities in a developing country (3rd world) like eating for one.

Jamaica's pools are quite warm. It's really HOT in jamaica so most people wish to cool off.

The warmest water would be along 7 mile beach in Negril where it's shallow and heats up quickly.

No Cal
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Not trying to be picky, but when I compare temps in Ocho Rios vs Akumal, it's warmer the next 15 days in that area of Mexico. (just slightly)

I would think that these resorts would want to get more people attracted to them year-round as to assist in their development and help stabilize their economy.

I'm sure the resorts don't make the local residents pay for running the resorts, in fact they give them jobs working there.

In my un-official poll it's about 70/30 in favor of visiting a Resort with a heated pool in the winter versus one without. Why would anyone want to pay $700.00 a day to swim in an uncomfortable pool if there are other choices? Most of the people that answered the pool temperature didn’t matter to them also admit that they don’t use the pools anyways.

I’m positive my poll is inaccurate because I live in California and most of my friends are like me, we think it’s freezing cold when the temps drop below 60.

Looking at the Webcams at just about every resort I can find, I see nothing but empty seats at the swim-up bars. In the summertime you have to wait in line. The occupancy level is higher now so the only factor for the lack of patrons in the pools is the water temperature.

I also did a quick search here and found many posts from people all over stating the pools are too cold to use in the winter. Pretty to look at, but almost useless.

Either way, I’ve found a few that do indeed heat there pools in the winter but, just as I expected, they are sold out.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

"Why would anyone want to pay $700.00 a day to swim in an uncomfortable pool if there are other choices? "

Why would anyone want to swim in a pool (when many of us have one at home- in California)

when we can swim in the Caribbean Sea???

Besidesm

I have been to all 4 Couples over the years, in December, and have never set foot in a pool not because of the water temp but

because there are so many people sitting at the swimup bar drinking all day -

The pool temp have never been a concern of mine.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Hey, although Sandals Whitehouse isn't an option for you right now since they're closed for repairs, it should be helpful to know that we were there in Dec a few years back and the pools were PLENTY warm - and I'm a warm water person. I hate living in MA with cold water all year. As far as I know their pools are not heated and I was perfectly comfortable, so I'm inclined to guess that most pools in JA stay warm enough most of the year, especially by next week.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

We've never had a problem with the pool temperature in Jamaica in either Jan, Feb or March. I don't know if the pools were heated or not. They were pleasant to swim in (and I am a pool person for swimming, not a beach person). The only place I found the water too cold, both at the beach and in the pools was in the Bahamas in January.

Arizona
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Seems as though you made up your mind before you asked.

I'm off to Ocho tonight and will be at the pool bar tomorrow.

The pools in Jamacia are the least of your worries.

Of course, there are no worries.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

Wowza...

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
86 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

I agree with your research. The pools were freezing during Christmas at Xpu-Ha in Mexico, but warm for Christmas at FDR, Breezes, and Wyndham Rose Hall; in fact, really warm at Rose Hall.

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do any if the AI's have heated pools?

We find all the pools at Sandals resorts to be very comfortable no matter what time of the year we go. We are from Maine where are ocean water is in the 50's. With the pools in the 70's and 80's, we find it just wonderful. The pools are always full when we go, sometimes I wish there were less people in the pool. I cannot comment on other resorts because we only go to Sandals.