We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

does anyone else have a problem with flying??

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
does anyone else have a problem with flying??

Hi

I never had a problem with flying, infact I loved it. Now that I'm older, for some reason I get panic attacks and I now have to take drugs before getting on the plane (valium). Was just wandering who else has a problem, beit panic or motion sickness.

curious to know that I'm not the only frady-cat

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

I've been flying quite regularly for the last 35 years, and in that time have racked up a pretty good collect of scarey landing stories (landed in Atlanta once and watched out the window as one of our engines slid down the runway) I have noticed in recent years, now that I only fly for vacations, that the flight is alot more pleasueable and the finger marks in the armrest less severe, when I have at least two voltka and tonics during the flight.

I guess maybe as we age we realize how much we have to live for.

Enjoy, and remember "every little ting gonna be all right"

uk
Level Contributor
792 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

Hello I dont have a problem with flying but my son has a problem with flying long haul. It makes him really sick after the flight and once when we came home during the flight. We give him tablets now but not sure what they are called. He has been flying since he was one year old and been to many places. Its only long haul that gets him this way. We were told it was the change in the oxygen and that night flights are better for him as you dont need as much oxygen when sleeping. We also make sure he drinks only water and give him a sugar boost when we land as I was told this helps too. Do you have a mp3 player like a ipod with your favorite songs on that may help with your anxiety attacks and maybe learn some breathing techniques, or sitting down exercises like yoga...

Cobourg ON
Level Contributor
790 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

I have no problem with flying... I've stood at the end of the open Cargo Ramp on a C5, with nothing but a harness to keep me from falling to oblivion, while the pilot pulled high-G turns.

My problems stem, from being stuck in a tin-can, with waaay too many more people.

When that plane hits the runway, if you need to get stuff out of the overhead, stay SEATED until those trying to get to the exit have left. Standing in the aisle will just block the flow, and make the de-planing longer for everyone!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

my transatlantic flight did me in. The rest is a breeze for me. Fun no...but necessary.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

I remember on a flight to Florida thinking the plane was on fire because I saw "smoke" coming out the ventilation system. Buzzed buzzed buzzed for the flight attendant only to be told it was the condensation (or something like that). Since then I've relaxed a lot more.

But I hate being confined in such a small space...I'm no doubt a first class traveller but without the means to travel first class! Hate the washrooms, the narrow aisles, the fact there is usually a food cart blocking the aisle when I need the washroom! So I try to watch a movie to pass the time and I keep thinking how exciting it will be to land in beautiful Jamaica!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
240 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

Me and my wife travel south once or twice a year since 2000, never had problems with the plane before, but on our last two flights my wife gets these panic attacks, after consulting with her doctor she will now be taking ativan half an hour before boarding the plane, we will know if it works on feb-19. i hope it does

ny
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

Hi rushrush The valium that i take does help alot. basically the same as ativan. I'm sure she will be fine. Let me know how she did when you get back

good luck and enjoy your trip.

ny
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

blacksappire

my boyfriend has motion sickness on planes..he now takes ginger pills and it helps alot

United, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

Hi, your obviously not alone on this,which I'm sure your glad to see. I get panic attacks when I have to drive in a vehicle with someone else driving, and flying is ten times worst. My first time over I had a panic/anxiety attack and have since asked my doc to prescribe something for the trip, he gives me zanax, which helps take the edge off. I don't drink so I didn't have that to help relax but the meds work well and wouldn't fly without them again. Happy travels.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: does anyone else have a problem with flying??

I am very frightened of flying, generally in tears at take off, holding armrests with a death grip, praying allot. Once I'm in the air for about 1/2 hour I tend to relax a bit as Iget used to the feel and sounds of the plane. I do take ativan before departure, and it does help a little. One flight a few years ago I had a cold. I took Benadryl and an ativan! best flight I ever had.

Niki