We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

legalised or notarised

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
legalised or notarised

hello starting to panic, would appreciate any help, been told that birth certificate needs notarizing yet when i phoned, notary public they said they are not allowed, so do they need legalizing instead of, also do you have to get passport done, legalized or notorized , or both, advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance john from uk, getting married in jamaica .

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: legalised or notarised

Not really sure what you are asking.

...but I know birth certificates (when they could be used. I know we can't anymore) had to have the raised seal. My passport just had to be signed - nothing special.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: legalised or notarised

congrats john...

i'm thinking i understand your question, you're asking what you need specifically to meet the documentation requirements for the wedding?

my suggestion is, contact the hotel/resort, tell them what you have, and ask them what further (if anything ) you need... i'd like to say it's cut and dry, but honestly different hotels are more strict with the requirements than others and people have been legally married without producing birth certificates (esp foreigners with passports).... while the requirements are well documented, it doesn't hurt to ask specifically if what you have presently will suffice...

logistically speaking, i'm pretty sure jamaicans will view legalizing the same as notorazing (as long as there is an offical stamp, verifiying the validity of the identification)...

maybe others have more insight

Chelle

MN
Level Contributor
912 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: legalised or notarised

Hi!

Congratulations!!!

I am getting married in Jamaica this coming April! The paperwork can be somewhat confusing...

The information I have is as follows.. ( I am getting married at Sandals, but I assume the required paperwork would be the same for everyone??)

(x) NOTARIZED COPIES OF STATE ISSUED BIRTH CERTIFICATES

(x) NOTARIZED COPY OF DIVORCE DECREE ALL PAGES FINAL JUDGMENT (IF APPLICABLE)

(x) NOTARIZED COPY OF LEGAL ADOPTION PAPERS OR LEGAL NAME CHANGE PAPERS (IF APPLICABLE)

(x) NOTARIZED COPY OF FORMER SPOUSE’S DEATH CERTIFICATE WITH RELATED MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE BOTH MUST BE NOTARIZED. (IF APPLICABLE)

(x) NOTRAIZED COPY OF LEGAL TRANSLATION OF ALL DOCUMENTS TO ENGLISH ALONG WITH NOTARIZED ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS IN ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (IF APPLICABLE)

ALL DOCUMENTS FOR JAMAICA MUST HAVE NOTARY’S STAMP & SIGNATURE ALL ORIGINAL INK SIGNATURE & MUST BE MAILED.

Also depending on where you are getting married there is also a $200 (US) government fee for the marriage license.

You should be able to take your birth certificate to any bank and have a copy of the document taken and they will notorize the copy for you, or this could be done at a courthouse.. Otherwise it is also quite simple to request a "certified copy" from the state you were born in.. (this may be different in the UK?) The certified copy will have the raised stamp and will be signed confirming that it is a certified copy of the original document..

Remember anything you send to Jamaica you will not get back, so you don't really want to part with your originals..

If this is still too confusing, I would call the resort or location you are getting married at, and/or if you are working with a TA ask them to explain what you need to do..

Good Luck and Congratulations again!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: legalised or notarised

" ( I am getting married at Sandals, but I assume the required paperwork would be the same for everyone??)"

in theory yes, in practice, no.... :)

Chelle

MN
Level Contributor
912 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: legalised or notarised

I did a little more research here too.... Unfortunately this is for the US so I am not sure how it applies to the UK... but notary's can no longer notarize a birth certificate.. Therefore a certified copy must be obtained...

Notarize A Birth Certificate?

SORRY, CAN'T DO IT

In no state does the law authorize a Notary to "notarize" or "certify" a birth certificate to verify its accuracy or authenticate, despite what you may have been told by a travel agency or airline. Only a custodian of birth records can certify a birth certificate.

Nor may a Notary certify a copy of a birth certificate. Some states (such as New York and California) flatly prohibit Notaries from certifying any copies. Other states (such as Texas and Florida) prohibit Notaries from certifying copies of documents that come from another public official, such as a custodian of birth records. And all states prohibit Notaries from using their seals just to make a document look official.

If you were born in the United States and need a certified birth certificate, you may readily and cheaply obtain one (or dozens) by contacting the department of health, or registrar of vital statistics, in the capital city of the state where you were born.

If you have further questions, please contact:

NATIONAL NOTARY ASSOCIATION

A Nonprofit Educational Organization

8236 Remmet Ave., PO Box 7184

Canoga Park, CA 91309-7184

Telephone: (818) 713-4011

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: legalised or notarised

thanks for all replys, the wedding is at the sunset jamaica grand, the wedding cordianater is patricia, but having problem contacting her, she says passport and birth certificate must be notarized, i now know i can get passport notarized, but notary public says not allowed to do birth certificates, but i know i can get birth certificates legalised by fco. sorry if this is confusing many thanks john.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: legalised or notarised

I must be dense.

Why would a passport need to be notarized?

MN
Level Contributor
912 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: legalised or notarised

Easton I am guessing (and am purely guessing) but maybe for the UK it is required that they submit a copy of their passport for the marriage license and therefore the copy must be notarized?

Could be way off though?

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: legalised or notarised

That would make sense.

The passport itself is already a universally accepted legal form of identification, so I don't know what being notarized would accomplish. Now a copy of the passport....that would make more sense.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: legalised or notarised

OK - we will see how this works - my daughter got her copy of her real birth certificates and hubby to be "notarized" with the stamp and ink signature by the notary that is what Sandals keeps sayingstating "they" need to process the marriage certificate. So, will be sending that in and see how it goes.