We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

I am getting married on June 5th. Then on June 7th as a sign of my love, I'm actually going to fly! I'm not really afraid of flying I'm just afraid of heights and enclosed spaces, lol!

I'm not too worried about the Southwest flight from KC to Fort Lauderdale, I've only heard good things about Southwest. I am a wee bit worried about the short flight from Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay on Air Jamaica.

How old are Air Jamaica's planes? I'm a little over 6'6" with my shoes on. How close together are the seats? Did your flights arrive and leave on time? I'm mainly worried about arriving in Montego Bay on time.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

LOL You'll be fine...that is a short fight and goes by rather quickly..you barely get settled in and you're landing.

TN
Level Contributor
841 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

Yes, you'll be fine. Southwest is tops & my favorite national airline. Air Jamaica is known to have delays sometimes, but they'll get you there safely. They were recently purchased by Carribbean Airlines, however, the transition is expected to take up to a year.

Just make sure you get an aisle seat on both legs (and FOR both legs lol) so you can stretch occasionally, and not feel so confined, and you won't be next to the window for height issues.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!!

Edited: 19 May 2010, 19:52
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

LOL LOVE your moniker!

Like already stated, you'll be fine. AJ has an outstanding safety record, even though in other areas they suck. Their planes are not "old".

You might try to get an exit row to give you a bit of extra leg room. So an exit row and aisle seat would be the best you can do for leg room - other than first/business class of course.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

AJ planes easily have the least amount of legroom of any airline I have ever flown...and I fly quite a bit.

I am 6 feet tall and my knees were touching the seat in front of me when sitting up straight. I hated it.

Sorry.

I wouldn't worry about safety or whatever, but their planes are really packed in.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

Thanks for all the info!

The flight is only 1hr and 40mins so as long as we don't get stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours I should be able to deal with the leg room. I'll try to get a isle seat, although my seat has already been assigned according to the AJ website.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

I have one word for you:

VALIUM.

I fly once a month (at least). I hate to fly it is the most uncomfortable way to travel but...I do it because I have to and when I vacation because I want to.

The Exit Row is not appropriate for you for 2 reasons...the first, and this is a big one - because of your fear if your assistance is needed you will be worthless and put an entire airplane in jeopardy. People who are afraid to fly should NEVER sit in an exit row. Second - if you take my advice, you'll be medicated...also not a swell idea for an exit row.

See if you can't get a bulk-head seat. Not so much extra legroom there but I like to put my feet up.

Or...you can see what it will cost to upgrade...can't hurt to ask. For flying-haters First Class makes the whole "ordeal" that much nicer to deal with. I treat myself to First Class tickets for every trip to Jamaica.

ny
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

I totally agree with rastagirl

VALIUM I won't fly without it anymore.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

Can't comment on Air Jamaica, but will say that I too have a fear of flying. I do it because it's the often the only way to get from point a to point b and I refuse not to travel because of my fear.

If you plan on medicating, try to get a prescription for Xanax instead of Valium. Valium remains in one's body much longer than Xanax and has always made me groggy and just out of it for over a day. Xanax generally metabolizes much more quickly - 4 to 8 hours - depending, of course, on the dosage and one's body weight.

Speak to a doctor to be sure what's best for you.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and have a wonderful honeymoon!

new jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

i'm 5'10 without shoes. It definitely wasn't the roomiest flight, but the seats are comfy and it does go by quickly.

i love air jamaica. I was lucky that last time i was on a flight, it was only half full so i had a three seater to myself!

best of luck and congrats!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Jamaica and my fear of flying

Adavan has been the best choice for me managing my extreme anxiety - sometimes I am better than others....but when I am not so good - Adavan....brilliant!