We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NB, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

Hi There:

We have not been to Jamaica, but are planning for January. We have travelled extensively--DR, Cuba and Mexico. We have heard that the locals are very aggressive and that tourists are uncomfortble or even unsafe to wander during the day. is this true?? We are planning to go to Sunset Jamaica Grande mainly becasue we like to experience the country rather than being on the resort all the time. Any thoughts about issues, things to be concerned about --besides the usual : be polite, say no firmly and don't flash expensive jewlery and or money???

Thanks

Jacksue

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

Unsafe? No. Uncomfortable? Aggressive?

At times, yes.

I don't much like Ocho Rios.

Cruise ports kill towns.

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

any other thoughts

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

No thank you always works for me in town.

long island,ny
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

My husband and I stayed at the Grande about 3 years ago and loved being able to walk to the craft market. We interfaced with the local people and did not find them threating at all. They are aggressive in wanting you to look at their wares. My husband was asked if he wanted to buy drugs but said I'm too old and and they BOTH had a good laugh. We enjoyed talking to the wood carvers and cook in the market. Please don't be afraid of the local people they just want to make a living.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

I also have stayed at Sunset, and I thought Ocho Rios was wonderful little town to walk around and explore. Yes, the locals there were a more aggresive than in Negril (due to the cruise ship tourists), but it is safe and there are a lot of great attractions in the area. You will be fine! No problem during the day, but personally I don't make a habit of walking very far at night. I felt much less safe when I wandered around Punta Cana.

If you go to Ocho Rios expecting a busy little tourist town, you won't be disappointed. I loved Mama Marleys, the Hard Rock, and Margaritaville - they are all very easy to walk to from your hotel. I also like the slower paced, laid back atmosphere of Negril....it's all good anywhere you go in Jamaica! The people there are amazing! Enjoy!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
883 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

It depends on where you go, I think. We stopped at a Juici Patty just east of town this year. No one paid us an attention at all except one little boy selling chocolates for school.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

The Ochi craft market and surrounding area is just crazy at times and I would avoid it. To much in your face people trying to get you to buy buy buy.

Yes, when the cruise ships pull in it is a feeding frenzy.

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

Thanks all--We are looking forward to this new expereince.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

Exactly, HWT.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the Jamaican people or anything like that. I have experienced Ocho Rios several different ways - including while staying at a hostel-type place - and it just isn't my favorite part of Jamaica. The scenery, area attractions, etc. are great but the cruise port really changes towns (and people). It is sad.

It isn't that I wouldn't go back to Ocho Rios - in fact, I am sure I will - but I will always choose my trips around the cruise schedules.

I generally prefer to be more rural in Jamaica anyways - so streets flooded with oldies wearing control top socks, and the aggressiveness that comes with that scene, aren't really my thing.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Geeting hassled in Ocho Rios????

We have never felt unsafe there. Aggessive vendors at times like everyone else says. Whether it's a hassle probably depends on the time, the place, and your own personal demeanor. It's just locals trying to make a living.