We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
710 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

I am reading messages about guests with upgraded rooms get chairs and umbrellas saved and therefore there is a shortage? Also, although reservations are not required (except for 1 restaurant), the lower graded rooms have to wait for the upgraded rooms to eat? We are in the Sapphire Premiere Room. Are these messages only from when it was a Sandals? Anyone been there recently who stayed in the Sapphire room notice anything?

Thanks,

Carolyne

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
531 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

Wow, obviously Mel you have never asked a woman why she goes topless!

I have when I have felt comfortable at an adults only resort, and I don't run around, I just lie on the beach. I also am very confident about who I am, I don't want others to gawk, but some do. I have made no investment in my body! If you ask your husband why he enjoys going without a shirt on in a hot destination it's the same reason why other females do it. It feels great!! You should try it, then you'll know why women do it, it's awesome!

I haven't done this at all resorts, usually when I see a majority doing it and then I feel more comfortable. I have seen many beautiful women go topless and my husband gawks and so do I but I don't judge. That's a kind apology Daniel. :)

Robyn

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

I might be wrong here, but I thought travel forums were to get advice on what is good/bad re areas/resorts AND to express one's opinion on same. I didn't think it was primarily to ask employees of resorts, no matter how great they are like Scott, to tell us stuff about their resort. I think if you want personal questions answered, it is better to contact the resort directly and ask them. Don't get me wrong, I have been just as grateful as everyone else that Scott has so kindly and patiently answered all of our questions.

I am blown away at how caring and committed everyone is on this forum. One man defended his wife's right to go topless, others expressed their opinion on it and other issues, myself included. Everyone showed respect for everyone else's opinion and I am glad they will be going to the same resort as I will sometime this year or next.

What I still haven't seen is what is the policy at Jewel on topless sunbathing? Scott? According to the link from another poster, it seems the Jamaican people do not like nudity at the resorts, only put up with it for tourism's sake and that it is actually illegal. If this is true, I think everyone should respect the Jamaican people (it IS their country) and keep their bras on!

Finally I would like to say I am impressed with everyone who posted. What a nice bunch!

Edited: 22 November 2010, 15:08
Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

The Jewel is an adult resort. There is no real area that an adult can go topless without having others see them. If it is brought to our attention we will ask the person to cover up.

I hope this helps.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

Robyn--if you read my comments it was directed at Daniel in response to his comments about those of us that were uncomfortable about toplessness. He was the one that started jumping to conclusions of why he thought we were uncomfortable, without asking us why we felt that way. I was simply trying to show how that kind of comment can work both ways and by your response, you can relate to how his comments to those that have a different viewpoint as his about toplessness feel. Like I stated in my post, I may not be comfortable with seeing women topless, but I do not say anything to those that chose to go topless. To each their own is how I feel, but Daniel's judgemental comments just set me off. They were not called for and were mean to anyone that may be made uncomfortable about the issue, regardless of their reasons for thier personal comfort level and I am sure there are many different reasons for those of us that are uncomfortable with it, just as there are many reasons why some woman are comfortable with it.

Daniel, like everyone, you are entitled to your opinion, but the comments you made about why someone may be uncomfortable or embarassed by toplessness were not neccessary, they were just mean and hurtful. You don't know the reasons why any of us that stated we were uncomfortable with toplessness had for our feelings, yet you chose to jump to conclusions to our feelings.

As the link that was posted from someone else stated it is not the norm in JA and the residents find it uncomfortable as well, so obviously those of us that expressed our uncomfortableness are not alone. If it is illegal, why do it??

Edited: 22 November 2010, 16:10
45. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:05
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

As a woman, it always surprises me when other women have issue with the female body. Or how a woman chooses to display her body. I think that there are deep seated reasons and I am sorry to say I agree in part with Daniel.

Let me ask you what it the difference between a very skimpy bikini that leaves nothing to the imaginiation as well as a thong, or a woman laying on the beach topless?

I have seen bathing suits (Wicked Weasel comes to mind) that are shear and everything is on display.

Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

Well, it looks like Scott has put an end to this discussion(thank goodness).

So anyone that still chooses to go topless at the Jewel may be subjecting themselves to a bit of embarrassment when they are asked to cover up. And I for one didn't read anywhere on the website that stated topless bathing was permitted. It usually states if it is. Women that feel that they must go topless on vacation should probably look for a resort where it is allowed.

mpls
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

Really? It would bother someone to the point that they would run to the manager and create a problem for another vacationer. I think most people associate an adults only resort with their being adults there. I.E. no kids. Half the time you can't even tell if someone is topless unless your looking for that and then i suspect your not enjoying your own vacation. I have thought i had seen topless a couple of times and it turned out to be a large guy, ha ha.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

I have to agree with you Paublo, I can't imagine anyone wanting to run and find the manager just to ask someone to put their top on.

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Getting a little concerned about The Jewel

Oh, I have problems with some men going topless too and men that wear g-strings, so for me it's not all about the women only. I don't want to see men OR women in g-strings or see through suits. JMHO Some things are just better left to the imagination.....or in some cases....just left covered! LOL

But I would never go run to management about somebody that is topless on the beach. Like I stated early to each their own.

However, I would hope that if the resort has rules about such things that the guests would follow them. I feel the same way about dress codes in restaraunts as well. If you don't like a rule at a resort, dress code or otherwise, than that is just not the resort for you. There are many resorts all with different rules, everyone should be able to find one that works for them. :-)