We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

mystic,quebec
Level Contributor
135 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

My husband and I are visiting O.R. on a cruise on Mar. 2nd and are looking for a resort that offers day passes. Does the Jewel offer these and if yes how much per adult? Also, about how much would the taxi fare be from the pier?

If they are offered and limited, how do we reserve?

Visiting resorts while cruising helps us plan the next land vacation....

Edited: 13 November 2010, 13:02
Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

Normal daypasses from on Island are longer hours and would be at $75.00 per person for the day.

Being that the cruise ship visits are shorter the day pass is $40.00 per person.

the taxi ride is roughly (I got a few quotes) about $30 round trip.

To reserve email ssenior@jeweldunnsriverresort.com

I hope this helps

Scott

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

We are booked for a week long stay at the Jewel between Christmas and New Years and I am a bit concerned re this forum topic, i.e.offering day passes to cruise ships. The price you quote is very cheap considering what resort guests pay to stay for a day at the resort and I don't think it is very fair to the resort guests who will now have to compete for places in restaurants and at the pool/beach with non guests.

One of the reasons I booked the Jewel was because I saw the Sunset Jamaica Grand allowed day passes (though not at Christmas time) and I figured a new resort would not have an agreement in place yet with cruise ships. I see most other resorts limit the amount of passes available (and at a much higher cost) during peak seasons such as Xmas. Is that your intention as well?

What guarantee do you provide to staying guests that this will not negatively impact on their enjoyment of the resort?

mystic,quebec
Level Contributor
135 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

Thank-you Scott for your prompt reply.

I will book soon in order to confirm a spot. Just need to wait for DH to confirm his absence from work (cruise and air already booked......heehee).

Designatedplanner has a valid concern however and I am sure a resort of your caliber will limit the number of passes sold based on the occupancy of the hotel. Despite traveling by cruise ship, we always look for day excursions away from the crowds. If I wanted a hoard I would go to the Sunset Grand or the Bamboo Beach Club. Also, by accepting cruisers in small groups of 2 or 4 you will find they don't take over the resort.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

We limit the number of day passes to the resort depending upon the occupnacy of the hotel. We would not overextend the resort.. If the resort is full than we would not sell day passes.

We would not do anything to impact the guest experience in a negative way.

Thank you for your concern

I hope this helps.

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

Thank you Scott for your response. Whew! You have alleviated my concerns on this issue.

Moncton
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

Hey Scott... You said that you wouldn't sell day pass if the resort is full. If you sell them in advance, and let say by a certain week in Febuary that you got to the point you did fill your resort....You don't think that it is an inconvience for us your client's that paid lots of money for an relaxing week and now we would have to compete. I don't think that a good idea. Thing could get rough!

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

We don't sell a lot of passes to begin with. It is more for a experience the resort and then book next year instead of taking a cruise.

Let me remind everyone that the company before us opened their doors to not only day passes but their 11 other properties on Island especially their 500 plus room resort in ocho rios. We don't have that concern so 10 extra people you won't even realize that they are there unless you want to spoil your vacation and go looking for them.

I hope this helps.

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

Hi Scott,

how true, didn't look at it that way! And I know that a lot of Grand Ocho Rios guests used to come over for the beach and pizza as they didn't have the pizza or a nice beach.

Thanks again so much for all your help and information.

5+ wks and counting! My gift under the tree this year is a vacation at the Jewel! Now that's jewellery I like!

9. Re: Are day passes offered at the Jewel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations