We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

Hi,

I'm visiting Jamaica during the first week of January and would like to stay at an all-inclusive resort. I'm mainly interested in relaxing on a nice beach and taking 1 or 2 tours. I'm thinking of staying at either Secrets St.James/Wild Orchid in Montego Bay or Jewel Dunn's River Beach in Ocho Rios. If you've stayed at these resorts, let me know if you have any recommendations. I actually would prefer to stay in Negril, but the all-inclusives there are more expensive. Thanks!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

If it's your 1st time in Jamaica you may want to consider Ocho Rios. That's where a lot of the well known attractions are near. (Dunn's, Bob Marley tour to name a few). Also the deal at the Jewel right now is too good to pass up! (every 3rd night free).

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

We got a great price out of MSP for the Sunset Jamaica Grande, also in Ocho Rios. The crowd we're going with have all been to Jamaica before and they wanted Ocho Rios. Our price was $600 a couple less than at the beginning of the month with a non stop flight, booked with Funjet.

Moncton
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

Both place are great.... Depending wich resort and what are your intention are with your excursion, it all depend on your vacation.... I never stayed at Montego Resort. I saw some great review. you would be in the middle of everything. Being at Ocho Rio, Negril and White House Sandals, I must say.....Negril is the happening place....White House is more conservative and Ocho,you will get more of the vibe of how they really live! Negril......Party... 46yrs old and not DEAD!

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

I don't think you can go wrong wherever you decide. You can't really beat the prices I've seen for the jewel, and the location is cool. And I agree Negril would be great, but the prices are higher. I never stayed in Montego bay but it is close to the airport which can be a good thing and I have stayed at a couple Secrets resorts in Mexico and they are also great.

Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall 2 years ago. It is just outside of Mobay, about 20 min. from the airport. It is a lovely resort with a nice beach. There are actually 3 resorts in the complex. The Iberostar Beach hotel which is the cheapest of the 3. Next is the Iberostar Suites which is a little more expensive, and the Iberostar Grand which is adults only and quite pricey. The lowest end one is really reasonable right now for the first week of Jan. We loved it there, food is great and it's very clean. Only about 3 years old. Nothing really within walking distance, but a short taxi ride to town. Hope this helps.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

I would like to try Jamaica as well. Interested in all-inclusive with nice beach and pretty surroundings( I like natural beauty over touristy stuff). I am not intersted in tours or bars.

So far I have found out...

1. Negril is the most expensive area

2. The three areas are : Negril, Montego Bay, Ochio Rios

3. Did I miss an area?

4. I noticed many resorts have very small beaches or are on cliffs

5. Montego Bay is close to the airport but is the area pretty?

6. My questions are location specific, I will pick the resort from reducing the search.

Thank you for any help!

7. Re: First time in Jamaica...Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 05:18