We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring snorkel gear or not?

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Bring snorkel gear or not?

We will be at the SJG the last week of January and I just started packing, noticed the summer clothes shrunk in storage again DRAT!

Big question is do we pack our snorkel gear or not. My brother-in-law says the snorkeling is great and that we can rent equipment inexpensively for the week. Anyone know what the cost is so we can decide if it is worth the weight in our suitcases. I know it's not heavy stuff, but hubbie is sick of bringing it and not using it enough.

Looks like we need a third opinion to settle the discussion.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

If you can rent it for the week, that may be an option. Hadn't heard of that. I know most resorts have some you can borrow. We always take our own. That way we can go whenever we want and for however long we want. If I'm up at 6am, I can go snorkeling. Also, I know how my equipment gets sanitized. Can't guarantee that with the resorts or rental equipment.

The equipment doesn't weigh much or take up that much room. I would recommend taking your own.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

I would at least bring your breathing tube. Nothing worse than renting equipment and getting a used chewed up one IMHO.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

This was probably a stupid post, bring it is the NO BRAINIER answer just couldn't get thru to my beloved. You both gave me good reasons and I appreciate it, THANKS!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

Some resorts don't give you fins either. You can use the mask and snorkel and hope it doesn't leak.....

What good is snorkeling gear if you can't get anywhere without your fins. In Jamaica I bring em!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

Bring them for sure. Not looking to share thigns of that nature with who knows who.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

Hi Jenny,

I always take my own gear. I can snorkel whenever I want and not have to worry about returning the gear by a certain time, etc. And, of course, there's the hygiene issue.

Have a great trip!

jadelight

Honesdale, PA
Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

Defiantly bring your own mask and snorkel.

Fins are very bulky in these days of pay per bag and most resorts have them to use. Many days I don't even use my fins because I need a little exercise.

Honesdale, PA
Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

sorry double post

Edited: 04 January 2011, 16:02
Honesdale, PA
Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

Defiantly bring your own mask and snorkel.

Fins are very bulky in these days of pay per bag and most resorts have them to use. Many days I don't even use my fins because I need a little exercise.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring snorkel gear or not?

Fins don't take up much room and are worth having.