We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

I saw someone else mention something about International fees for using your credit card. Could someone explain this to me. We have a couple that were going with, planning on doing their finances this way when they are there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

Ochoriosvirgin, We have used credit cards many times at Sandals and have never been charged an international fee. Same goes for some shops in MoBay and the airport. If they are unsure and are worried, I would have them contact their credit card companies and ask them directly. ~Katrina

SHEBOYGAN WIS
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

I think what you are talking about is a fee for transfering the exchange rate of $$$. It may look like a fee but it isn't. I might have seen this once in Mexico but can't say for sure. It is all on you credit card statement when you receive it. And it will charge you in Jamacian then transfer it to american$$. Don't worry about it. Call your credit card co. and they will give you the answer for a peace of mind.

3. Re: International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2007, 13:20
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

The fees are foreign transaction fees that most credit card compains tack on to your sales. They range from 1%-3%. So, basically you are paying 1%-3% more for whatever you charge on your card while you are out of the country. The only card that I have found that does NOT charge any foreign transaction fee is Capital One. It's the only card I use when I leave the country. Hope this helps, but also

Go to:

tripso.com/archives/…7_rules_for_cre_1.html

It explains what these fees are.

Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

Hi,

I just called Visa and they only charge you if there is a money conversion. If the resort charges in US dollars there is no charge - does this sound right?

Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: International FEES on credit cards? Does Sandals do this...

Thanks for posting this! Discover doesn't charge any fees, but isn't widely accepted in Jamaica, although the Rose Hall does take it. I'm calling Capital one!