We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Ocho

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
242 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Ocho

We leave Friday morning for Jewel Dunns River and while I know to expect an occasional but short-lived daily shower in Jamaica and to therefore not worry too much about rain in the forecast, but ... I still am. I can't help it! The forecast for Ocho for the next 10 days is full of rain. I am posting in hopes of getting some reassurance that this type of forecast doesn't necessairly mean our trip will be a complete washout.

Whether or not it rains, it will still be warmer than it is here in Chicago and I'll just spend my time under an umbrella by the pool! :) Thanks for your help!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Ocho

If it gets that bad (which in most cases it does not) Grab a taxi out of town and hit another part of the island for a day. Usually the weather will be different. No worries liquid sunshine does not ruin a good vacation just adds some adventure to it!.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 18:29
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Ocho

THughes,

We leave this saturday out of Ohare and also see that the forecast is full of rain. How was the weather for you? It is concerning when I pull up the 10 day forecast and it shows showers every day....thanks for your reply. Hope you had a great vaca.

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Ocho

Dont worry about it too much. Cant change it if it does rain.Just chill and as mentioned go see another part of the island. While it may be raining in ochi just down the road it could be hot..

Have fun and enjoy every minute.. After all its liquid sunshine

Also the weather forecasts change.Although it may look now that it will be raining plenty it could be a different story tomorrow

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Ocho

I'm very worried that showers and no sunshine are listed for the next ten days in Ocho Rios.

I'm wondering if the weather folks just toss that in there because it's natural to have a short shower or two every day, or if we are in for long heavy rain.

I've also noticed that this week originally called for all rain, but that has now been pushed out to next week. I wonder if rain is a safe placeholder?

How did you find out what other parts of the island were not raining?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Ocho

Many worry way too much about the rain and weather in Jamaica. For the time that most go Late Nov.- April there is not much rain. Is there a possibility of many rain storms while there, yes. Does it happen often, not at all. Stop worrying and just go have fun . So if it does rain , you just gonna pout in your room all week. Uhh no I'm going out in the puddles and having a great time to remember for a lifetime. We live once and some only go once to JA so make the most of it and ...... we dont melt ;)

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Ocho

People pay a lot of money for a sunny trip with limited rain so I can understand the concerns....that said, I've heard now that online forecasts cannot be trusted and found this piece that talks about the weather in OCHO;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147312-s208/Ocho-Rio…

Smithsburg, Maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Ocho

Again, I know that the weather varies from region to region and it could be raining down the street and sunny 2 miles away. However, when I stayed in Trelawny in May of last year, it seemed that the sun would shine brightly in the morning, then shorty after lunchtime the wind would pick up and it would cloud up and occasionally rain. Has anyone found this to be the norm for Ochi? Just curious so I can time my lounging on the beach for catching prime rays :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Ocho

I understand people pay alot of money to go , I do as well. I am taking my kids this year so the expense is huge but worth it,. My point is after your days are booked there is not much you can do if anything for the weather, so why stress about it. Thats my point, you wont get a refund for rain so just go and play the hand that is dealt to you whether dun or rain or a mixture of both go have an experience.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 12:03
Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Ocho

I agree that it's all about the experience...and the forecast now actually looks much better on accuweather and worse on weather.com....I think that just reinforces that the weather is unpredictable!

I've been to Ocho before - just on a cruise stop - and climbed those falls, which I plan to do again.

Fingers crossed.

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Ocho

We were there Jan 21 - 28 and it was forecasted to rain five days but it only rained one evening.