We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ocho Rios

Hi can anyone give me some local knowledge about this resort, can you get cabs out and about, also can you walk around town ok

and use restaurants in the evening. Also was reading a post says tto use taxis with red plates on?? Any info appreciated.

Thanxxx

Sara :}

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios

you didn't say which resort, but in general, yes, (redplate) taxi are widely available and easy to find nearby all the major resorts in the Ocho Rios area (for private charter) and shared (route) taxi are available to flag down from the main road...

walking around town is perfectly fine... if it is a time while cruise ships are in and you are an obvious visitor, you may find some aggressive vendors target you a little quicker, to avoid this, avoid the craft markets and say no thank you polietely but directly to anyone who does approach you trying to sell their products/services...

if you are taxing out and about in the evenings, it's probably easier to do a private charter.. chances are the price is a bit more than route (don't book directly thru the hotel, the same taxis are usually available to book directly for significantly less within the hotel parking lot or general vacinity).... be prepared to bargain with the drivers and agree on a price/terms before you get into the vechile... it'll probably be cheaper to ask the same driver to come back and pick you up and take you back...

hope that helps

Chelle

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios

Thanks Chelle for your reply, I am pleased to know we wont be stuck in a resort hotel for 2 weeks, we stayed in Cayo Guillermo in Cuba and didnt realise we would be so isolated, loved Cuba but need to get out and about!!

thanks again,

Sara :}

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios

What resort are you in? I got back a week ago and can give you more specifics after I know where you are staying.

4. Re: Ocho Rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 03:16