We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunns River Falls

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Dunns River Falls

We are anxiously awaiting our turn at The Jewel! In the mean time, I have a question about Dunn's River Falls....

Will we be able to just catch a taxi and pay the entrance fee at the falls by ourselves without booking with a group or excursion?

Thanks!

Ashley

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunns River Falls

absolutely...

you could also get another couple who you hit it off with to head over with you... that's my favourite way to enjoy the falls, in a small groups, it's the most fun that way i think :)

easier to avoid the aggressive sales market at the top in small groups too :)

Enjoy

Chelle

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunns River Falls

Perfect! Thank you so much for the quick response!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunns River Falls

Absolutely best way to get there. You can spend as long as you want there and if prefered you could stop off at some other spot, take photos, take your time.

When you do the climb you dont have to hold hands you can climb on your own. people link hadns like a chain but i found that to be restrictive first time i did the falls and thought this is how you had to do it. You dont and if you climb independdently you can take your time and capture more of the falls. take it all in and swim in different parts..Well cool off in the water.

You are advised to wear water shoes which you can take yourself or hire there..

Just a little useful info if you didnt already know.

You could also ask your driver if they could walk along the path beside the falls and take photos for you. Thats what we got our driver to do..

Enjoy..

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunns River Falls

Try not to go when a ship is in port.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunns River Falls

Thank you so much for the great responses! Is there a way I will be able to look up when the cruise ships are docking?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunns River Falls

If you have to go when ships are in port, then trying going in the morning or later afternoon. Most cruisers will be heading back to the ship for lunch.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunns River Falls

That is a great resource to have when in Ochi, but I will say that not all the ships are listed or always kept up to date We had a double ship day last year that was on NONE of the sites that list ships. Just FYI Great resource not perfect.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunns River Falls

Agree with DJ, about half the ships we saw were on the schedule when we were there the last week in Jan. No biggie to us we just chuckled about how little it meant after we arrived, NO PROBLEM MON for sure.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunns River Falls

Agree not going when ships are in.

At the Jewell there are several drivers which you can book thru the concierge. We used Dave Rose and I would highly recommend him. Been driving for 20 years and knows the area very well and is quite the professional.

We used private drivers vs tours because we did not want to be on a time schedule. If we wanted to stay longer "no problem".

You can arrange thru the Jewell to go to the Falls for $32 per person which include entrance into the falls.

We paid Dave $30 for 2 people and then paid the $15 per person entrance fee at the gate.

Enjoy!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
201 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunns River Falls

Sunday is usually no ship day.

If you go to the Falls about 3.45 it is much quieter and you can climb without having huge numbers around you. The park closes at 5.30.