We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Recommendation from Ochi

Hartford...
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Recommendation from Ochi

We will be staying at the Jewel at the end of April / beginning of May. This will be our third trip to Jamaica (although our first in the last 10 years). We would like to take a day to get out of the resort and go do something on the island. We've done a couple of tours in the past, but I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have that might meet the following criteria:

1. We've done Dunns River Falls (although we'll be doing it again since it was included with our room rate), Black River, Y-S Falls, Appleton Rum Estate - so we'd rather not do those again.

2. We tend to like tours that get you out of the bus and doing something besides sitting on another bus or on a boat.

3. We don't mind being gone for a long time. On our honeymoon we did a 12 hour tour that took us all over the island - we liked getting to see some of the "real" Jamaica as we traveled from place to place.

Any suggestions for a good, interesting tour? For what its worth, I'm already interested in the tubing tours on the White River - so that might be an option, especially if we could pair that up with one or two other activities in the day.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
White River
White River
891 Reviews
Jamaica
Phil Lafayette Tours
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

With white river tubing you could check out enchanted garden and maybe shaw or coyaba gardens

Another nice day would be nine mile (marley memorial) and a stop at the market in browns town...

Another long but enjoyable day would be a tour around the port Antonio area (blue lagoon, sommerset or reach falls, Boston bay and its legendary jerk stands and so on)

Enjoy

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

We would love to see the "real Jamaica' as well. We have done tours in Dominican Republic and St Lucia where we really got to see the real country.....visited schools, met locals in their homes/work places, saw natural sites, tasted local foods, played games with locals, things like that. VERY fun tours, educational and not sitting on a bus all day.

rideguy---if you find anything that sounds intriguing, let me know! And of course, don't forget the rum drinks at the bar in May! ;-) See you there!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

check out www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com for ideas on tours and combos of them. Peat Taylor Tours , Great tour company highly recommended and the only people we use after trying many others

Mentioned in this post
Peat Taylor Tours
Peat Taylor Tours
767 Reviews
Jamaica
Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

We are also looking for the same and found 2 sites with some different options, look at: BUDGET TOURS JAMAICA , AND CHUKRA CARIBBEAN ADVENTURES....... Sorry don't know how to link their websites (I actually like real interaction vs. virtual) lol...

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

Talk to Marva Shaw at www.knowjamaica.com. my girfriend and i used them last summer and they were absolutely amazing. we cant wait to get back and see them again. Marva can help you plan a trip to keep you busy as long as you want to and her son Javia is the best driver in Jamaica! check them out! One Love and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

try knowjamaica.com. Marva Shaw will help you plan any day trips you want to anywhere on the island. She is wonderful you should send her an email

Edited: 14 March 2011, 10:23
Hartford...
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

I had actually been exchanging emails from Marva yesterday before I saw your post. Hopefully, we can work something out.

Mel - I'll drop you a PM when I hear back from Marva on some of my questions to let you know what I've found out.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

i really want to go to port antonio but i couldnt find any tours from ocho rios to there do you know any tours in particular ?

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

Thanks Rideguy! I will watch for the PM.

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Recommendation from Ochi

jamaicalover1....

knowjamaica tours will take you to port antonio its a gorgeous drive along the coast and that side of the island is beautiful!!

KNOWJAMAICA.COM email Marva Shaw from there she will help you with anything and everything