We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have narrowed our decision to Jewel or Couples for our first trip to Jamaice and all-inclusive resort. While I fell in love with the Jewel, the Couples resort seems to offer more activities that are included in the all-inclusive package such as water skiing, sunset catamaran cruise, glass bottom tour, etc. These activities will have to be paid for at the Jewel. The Jewel is $200 cheaper but it appears that $200 difference will be made up easily by the additional activities that are offered. Has anyone been to both and has a strong preference? If the Jewel had those activities included, it would be a no brainer. However, I want to ensure we get the most out of our trip. Any advice/opinions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Smiths Falls...
Level Contributor
134 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

We thoroughly enjoyed Couples Tower Isle. The excursions that were included in the price helped us to make our decision and we're so glad we did. We enjoyed scuba diving, glass bottom boat tour, Dunns River Falls, horseback riding, shopping excursions to Ocho Rios (3 x week) and the catamaran cruise. There was also free snorkeling, water sports, tennis and golf, and an excursion to Jimmy Buffet Marguaritaville, but we chose not to do those excursions - it gives us a reason to "come back home". PLUS with Tower Isle there is a no tipping policy. It was so nice not have to carry around cash and the staff were absolutely amazing. Couples policy is that they do not want service dependant on tippping. After the second day they were calling us by name, always stopping and asking if everything was fine, and one of the entertainment staff joined us for breakfast one morning and gave us ideas what to do for the day. The food is awesome! Even the pickiest eaters can find something to their liking. I loved lobster night and also enjoyed the rack of lamb, beef tenderloin and I haven't even started to talk about the desserts....decadent!!!

We're already planning our return trip for the new year.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

The horseback riding excursion will end at CTI Aug 21st (I believe). They are putting mini bars in all the rooms as well.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

wow, i will be getting there on 8/22. any other thoughts on Couples v. Jewel?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

We could not decide either so......

We booked the Jewel from 8-19/8-22 then we are moving to CTI from 8-22/8-29

We already know we love the Couples brand from our time at Negril. However The Jewel has received so may wonderful reviews on the food and service that it cannot be dismissed. IMO the two while they both will offer excellent services are also very different.

CTI is very South Beach in Decor while The Jewel is very traditional with the rich Mahogany 4 Poster Beds and furniture, plus I think the grounds are more lush. Personally I think I am going to like the "look" of the Jewel a bit more as I am just not a "hip" kind of person but more of a traditional person when it comes to decor.

There are sooooo many things to go into the decision not just what is included. That is why we had to check out both. It might turn out that we go to Couples while in Negril and The Jewel while in Ochi on future trips.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

Hello Epb239,

If you have any questions as far as the Jewel goes I would be happy to answer them. As far as opions go I could not, but would be happy to help with the fact.

Whatever decision you make it is the right one about coming to Jamaica.

Scott from the Jewel.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
444 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

Epb:

I cannot comment on the Jewel but would consider staying there in the future.

We were at CTI in April. I will tell you that they have good food, the staff are helpful and we had a wonderful time. We met a couple that was on there 45th trip to Couples Resorts. The only thing that they cautioned us, is the time of year that you travel to Jamica. Sometimes the weather can be cooler in January on the north side of the island.

Whichever resort you choose, go in with an open mind and you will have a wonderful time.

LTTT

Versailles, KY
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

i booked the Jewel for our wedding/honeymoon 27 Aug to 3 Sept for 3 simple reasons:

1. the resort size: i 've stayed at the mega AI resorts in the past and wanted something a little more intimate in feel this time around

2. the level of customer service i've read about: and let me tell you, when you are planning a wedding, customer service is very important. the staff have all lived up to what the reviews say on the boards.

3. the amenities that are included: go to their webiste for a complete listing of what they have to offer. you will not be dissappointed.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

Hello epb.

I have not stayed at CTI but I have stayed at another Couples. I have stayed at The Jewel twice now...

The first thing I would say is that I have had nothing but excellent interactions with management and ownership of The Jewel whereas that of Couples leaves a little to be desired so to speak.

The Jewel itself is a FABULOUS resort in most every way. The dining is top notch (superior to what I've experienced at Couples), the service is excellent, the grounds and rooms are gorgeous (get an oceanview if you can !!) There are plenty of activities that are included (tennis, golf, watersports...)and several exclusives to The Jewel as well. You can do a shopping/dunns river excursion for about $30 per person...

The daily activities, the awesome pools, the dinner on the pier, the management, the spa and gym... All excellent.

Both resorts have limited beaches, from what I've seen it's nicer at The Jewel.

We will return to The Jewel again and again, God willing.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

Steve

I would love to hear about your interacions with management and ownership of Couples that leaves you with "a little to be desired"?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel Dunn's or Couples Tower Isle - HELP PLZ

Bigwillietex,

Please do not read anything into what Steve has to say about Couples. It is well known and documented here on TA that Steve has only ever been to CSA, claims to have stayed at CN but there is no proof, although I have asked and was promised on many occasions. He has not been to CTI, yet feels he can compare CTI to The Jewel, and yet will take me to task when I comment on Breezes chain as a whole.

The bottom line is that he does not like the Couples chain, not sure why, but there you go.

To the OP, I have not stayed at CTI or The Jewel, we have however stayed at Couples Negril 6 times and are headed back for our 7th trip this year after spending a few days at CSS. So I can not give you a resort to resort comparision. I can however tell you that Couples as a chain a whole, is Jamiacan owned and operated. They go above and beyond to make their guests feel welcomed, pampered and happy. In my opinion the inclusions that they offer really do make the difference.

I have read the reviews of The Jewel and know a little bit about the parent company that owns them. To be honest if The Jewel was on another island I would try it out, but while in Jamaica I will stay at Couples.

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations