We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

wales
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

anybody heard of any other incidences of this happening in hotels?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

It happens in every city in the world.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

I stayed at the Riu in May.

my camera was stolen from the lobby (I forgot it on a chair). I alerted the staff and they were more then concerned and did everything in their power to try to help me find it.

They even set up a search that night and let me be there at the exit of the resort while they searched the staff members. I felt like the staff at the Riu went well above their duties to try to help me find it.

I also never once felt unsafe at the Riu

(I am a 24 year old female who travelled with two 19 year old females)

I did read that trip report.. and I also noticed that that is the 1st review that person has posted... I am not saying it didn't happen, but honeslty, After staying at the Riu, I can say that I felt way safer and felt the staff was way better there and more caring then any resort I have stayed at in the Dominican.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

Muggings, room & safe burglaries, even shootings...Maybe one day management will care enough to actually try to make the place more secure...

4. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 18:05
5. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 18:05
6. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 18:35
7. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 02:05
lancashire
Level Contributor
204 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

my earlier post seems to have been removed as it was published 3 times by mistake ooops...i stayed at this hotel mentioned jan this year with my husband our first trip to jamaica the rooms had locks and chain on the door and locks on balcony door , i spent time alone around the reort and always felt safe..

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

I am friends with one of the couples who posted about the break in and robbery. This story is true. It was a nightmare which shouldn't happen at any resort, hotel, etc. The 2 men (one dressed in a resort uniform) entered their room with flashlights, had them lay face down on their beds, duct taped their mouths, wrists and ankles, cut the phone lines and robbed them. They then went to 2 other rooms and did the same to both couples. The group I know chose not to stay any longer and booked a flight home....I don't blame them.

If you have questions, I believe you can send them an email from their review post. I think it is odd that some of the rooms have different types of locks on the doors? They have yet to hear back from the resort regarding any type of compensation. Imagine if they would have had their children with them! Absolutley horrible.

I have been to many resorts and have always felt very safe. I will for sure be checking the type of locks on my door in the future.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mugging in rooms in ocho rios rui hotel

Hello Group of 10, Just a question, It was my understanding that the police apprehended the men and recovered all of the stolen ariticles. Is that not the case?

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations