We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sun screen

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
sun screen

What SPF do you recommend?

I used SPF 4 tanning oil in the Keys and was fine.

Also what brands/scents did you use?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: sun screen

Hi crazyforinfo! Try Ocean Potion. Smells great & they have higher spf. You can order on line. I always get mine in florida. Pretty inexpensive on line. I have olive skin & I always tan before going anywhere hot & sunny. I rarely burn here at home, but I got sun poisoning once in Florida. It ruined 2 days of my thip! Be really careful with the sun. Can't wait to go to SDR! 40 more days!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: sun screen

Yikes crazy! If you are only taking spf 6 and 4, I would suggest taking a LOT of the aloe with lidocane! Not to mention tylenol for the discomfort. Each of the brands that you mentioned have full lines of higher SPF's. My personal favorite brand is Hawaiian Tropic waterproof. You can also buy special tanning lotion for your face by Bain de Soleil that won't clog your pores, very light and not greasy, not too expensive. I really hate seeing people learn the hard way, but it's enevitable every year that I walk by people on the resort and just cringe. They get so burnt it's painful just to look at! It's really easy to not realize how red you are getting, especially after a few drinks by the pool :-)

One last bit of advice, drink tons of water. Between the sun and drinks it's very easy to dehydrate. Especially with a sunburn. Good luck!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: sun screen

LoL

Thanks for the advice. Yes I am still searching for a higher SPF. I just didn't find the right one yet. Not too much is offered in the winter right now.

Denison Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: sun screen

The perfect lotion is BULL FROG. spf 45, waterproof, 8 hour protection.The BEST ever made! This is my 3rd trip. and i'm very fair and i have never burnt! Trust me you will thank me later!

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: sun screen

My husband and I travel all over the world regularly including the desert and Africa as well as the caribbean. I am fair haired, freckle easily, and blonde haired. We love the sun and love a sun tan! A few years ago, a pharmicist put me on to a product which is now readily available in the UK but I think in the US and Canada it may have to be ordered online. Its the most wonderful product we have ever come across. You put it on ONCE a day, early morning and 90 minutes prior to sunbathing. YOu do not need to repeat at all througout your day. You will NEVER burn with this stuff and yet, you turn the most amazing golden brown. Although it has a high SPF, it seems to tan you so well.

Its safe, good skin cancer protection, and is not oily or greasy. We have spent days out on safaris in extreme heat and sun, and have never burned. We also used it in Jamaica. Its called P20

Heres a link for information but you will need to do a search for where to buy it worldwide. Uk residents have no problem buying it but my friends in the states have had me send it to them so dont know where you can buy it over there.

LINK

http://www.p20.co.uk/content/homepage.html