We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noseeums (mosquito-like bugs)

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Noseeums (mosquito-like bugs)

Are no-see-ums a big problem on the beaches in Ocho Rios? We're staying at COR where we intend on spending a lot of time on the beach this summer, but my husband is prone to bug bites. If it is a big issue out there, any recommendations for a good bug spray to protect us?

Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
87 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noseeums (mosquito-like bugs)

Holidaisy, there are few reports of this issue at COR, and rarely in the summer time, but preparation for your enjoyment may be in order. Remember, no arosels, on the airplane. Some have spoken highly of the Avon Skin SoSoft products. Comes in wipes, or spray with sunscreen combo. Others have mentioned a sunscreen/combo bug replellant that they got at Walmart.

There is also a question of whether some of the issue is sand fleas, reported only by those looking for a private spot on the beach late at night! :)

I also understand a couple of Red Stripe beers in "the system" will repel the critters, but I can't confirm this.

COR does very well with repellant candles in the dining areas.

Again, I believe you are fine in the summertime, but unlike my comments on your water thread, I can't be certain on this one, so take something along. :)