We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow Contrasting Reviews

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Wow Contrasting Reviews

Reviews...Some good, some bad. But booked and going. Myself and teenage sons. So if I'm going anyways I would like some recomondations. Which tower is better?, which rooms are better?. Why? What was better value ammenities and what wasn't? Best place for advice or ideas once there?

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

What hotel?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

Sunset Jamaica Grande In Ocho Rios

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

From what I hear, I think it's the South Tower that is better - ask for a renovated room = And when you are shown to the room, check everything (AC, TV, faucets, toilets, etc...) before accepting that you are satisfied with it.

Food was okay - nice area to stay in if you want to get out and about and explore a bit -

Toronto
Level Contributor
785 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

You guys will have a great time. As I said in the other post, request to be in the South Tower and ask for a renovated room. The renovated rooms come with a fridge and a flat screen tv and have new decor. I am sure the older rooms that are in good condition will be totally fine as well. I am sure your teenage sons are not gonig to care much about the room as long as it is clean and tidy.

There is tons to do at the resort, just take advantage of the all free activites such as sailing, kyaks, etc...

You can also pack some fishing gear, we always do every time we go here and we fish off the rocks... you wont be the only ones. We usually catch a bunch of small fish, but the fight are always good. We just get some of the locals that are always near the rocks to get us bait (for a small fee) or you can always take food from the buffet lol... those fish will eat anything.

The entertainment staff will make sure you guys have a good time too.. there is always some sort of game such as basketball, ping pong, dominoe tournament and other games to keep yourself busy, just check the schedule in the day and make sure you are there.

The water slides fun and the pools are big.

there will be locals on the beach asking if you want to go on jet skis. thats fun too.

the location is great. you can walk off the resort and walk right into the town which is totally safe.

dont listen to the bad reviews. you will love jamaica and ssjg will be fun.

Edited: 07 July 2011, 14:30
Cumberland
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

How did you get from the airport in Montego Bay to the SSJG?

Toronto
Level Contributor
785 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

Most tour operators include round trip travel accomodations with an all inclusive package.

If not, you can take a taxi which can vary in price, or you can take a shuttle bus for 20USD one way.

You can also arrange private transfer.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

All resorts get contasting reviews for a wide variety of reasons. All reviews and 'popularity awards' should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt because they are so easily exploited...

Blessings and respect.

Steve

Manchester,CT.
Level Contributor
102 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

Exploited??? Why would you say that? Things happen good and bad. When it is low season, you tend to get less service. It is what it is. I do not think people fabricate reviews to be mean. They write what happened and sometimes, stuff happens, or there is construction, bad food, noisy neighbor, rude staff, or just the opposite.

Some people cannot handle a single ant or bug. It is the tropics so bugs live there.

To me, it is all about the "vibes" of the hotel. Vibes is key, and the best vibes are in Jamaican owned places.

I never go to Margaritaville or any non-Jamaican owned establishments. Too commercial. I want the local feel....the whole point of going to JAMAICA...yeah mon, one blessed love, nah true?

9. Re: Wow Contrasting Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 20:19