We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

I would appreciate some suggestions for travel outfits from people who travel from cold into the warm jamacia resorts. What is your normal outfit. We are traveling the 2nd week of december. any help and responses would be appreciated.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

Under armour! We live in Toronto and go to Jamaica in january. One year, we went from -30 c to +30 c. We wore under armour hoodies with soft shell jackets in Toronto and when we arrived in MB it was hot and raining. We switched the hoodies to ua tees and the same jackets and were good to go. I love my under armour. It regulates your body temperature.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

i wear a long sleeve t-shirt with a sweater or hoodie, and yoga pants that can roll up small and be stashed away easily. no coat. no matter how cold it is outside, i'm in a warm car on the way to the airport and i'm NOT lugging a coat on the trip. lol. I carry t-shirt & shorts or a skirt in my carryon and change on the plane. pants and hoodie get stuffed in carryon so i can come off the plane cool & comfortable in shorts and a light top. same on the way back - pants and hoodie in carryon and put them on when i reach back to the cold.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

Here's what I do...I wear my "regular" California clothes from SFO to Miami and in Miami I change into a sundress and sandals. If you don't have a stop you can change in the airplane bathroom.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

I wear light weight pants, a short-sleeved shirt, a light-weight sweater and running shoes to the airport. Once I'm in Toronto Pearson Airport, the sweater and running shoes get packed away in my carry-on and out come the sandals. I do the reverse on the way home.

During the last half hour of the flight, there always seems to be a line-up for the airplane restroom as people change into lighter weight clothing. I just can't see trying to maneuver in that itty bitty bathroom, so I simply wear what I would be comfortable landing in with the only change needing to be my shoes. My hubby wears zipped cargo pants so he can just unzip the legs off and voila he is in shorts.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

just wanted to add....we travel in Jan/Feb which quite often means we've arrived at the airport in blizzard conditions. I've seen people wearing winter coats in the airport, sitting at the same gate as ours for Jamaica. And I'm sure they were toasty warm when they arrived at the airport, while I was a little cold on the airport shuttle. But then I see them struggling to shove their winter coat in the overhead on the plane because it is too big to fit in their carry-on. And worse, I see the look of "darn-it" on their face when they land and everyone is wearing light weight clothing...and here they are lugging around a heavy coat which seemed so necessary back home. These are usually the same people I see still wearing turtle-neck sweaters when they land in Jamaica. :)

So good question Carolyn!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

Since for me theres always been outside wait time on return home in a line for airport taxi... And I can never judge how long that will be... I bring my coat... It's a hassle but it saves me from being miserable for 20s or 20 min... This is fairly new for me, but I'm just miserable being cold so I'd rather the hassle than freezing!

I actually remember one January my coat came in handy as I slept under it when I ended up camping out in st Thomas... Can get good and chilly up in the hills! A few times I cursed not bringing out coats the year we lived there! (but it's not nearly the concern by the sea where it's much warmer tho :)

Chelle

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

Coats get stuffed into our luggage before we check it on the way there. Have shorts and sandals in our carry-ons so we play the change game in the aircraft bathroom! I cannot bear arriving and being in pants and socks - plus sometimes there is quite a lineup at Immigration depending upon when you arrive, so suggest a change of clothes, for sure - don't wait until to get to your hotel.

Enjoy

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

We usually wear jeans and t-shirts with light jackets. We are bit cold when we leave Canada and a bit warm when we land wherever we are going, but not too uncomfortable on either end! We usually have shorts in our carry-on luggage, so if it's too unbearable when we land we can change in a washroom at the airport.

Springfield, OH
Level Contributor
362 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

We normally wear jeans, short-sleeve or sleevless shirt, and a sweater or hoodie (I get cold on the plane). I take the sweater/hoodie off before getting off the plane in Jamaica. We have sandals in our carryon to change shoes if we want. I can get by with the jeans until we get to our room, then we immediately change into shorts. Believe me, the jeans have come in handy when we have had cool weather in Jamaica.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Clothes from Cold to Hot Weather???

I layer - I start with a tank top, then long sleeve shirt, fleece, and I have a wool wrap - Jeans or sweats on bottom, socks and Uggs - Flip flop and shorts in the carryon bag - I change on the plane or as soon as I land into the shorts, the wrap becomes a great blanket on the plane ride and rolls up into a small place in my carry on.