We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

I read somewhere that there is no tipping allowed at Sandals. We are going to Sandals Grande Rivieria.

Do you still tip???? ie. bartender, waiter, etc...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

Nope, not necessary or advised... If you do choose to do so, do so discretely as employees could be disciplined if caught accepting... People have been terminated for doing so too frequently.

Chelle

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

So we have always left money on the bed for the maid, do you still do that???

I'm confused...I have never been to a resort where you do not tip

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

If you are abiding by the resorts rules, no you shouldnt tip the maid or any other employee ( shuttle drivers, spa ladies and butlers can be tipped)...

Small gifts (with notes indicating it as such, stating your name and room number) are generally acceptable if you choose to give something... Otherwise do feel free to give staff recognition on the comment cards or other manner the resort lays out... These are taken into consideration for performance evaluations, bonuses, raises and promotions...

Chelle

Edited: 03 October 2011, 14:41
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

It is a very clear policy with Sandals, NO tipping. Don't risk a Jamaicans job over this one. The only exception is your butler if you have one and the SPA. I understand the comments cards are looked at very closely, so that is a good idea.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

I remember on our first trip to Sandals 10 years ago all the employees wore buttons that said something like "No problems, No worries, No tipping". I think that button went away some years ago, but I wish they would bring it back. That is one of the things I really liked. Not having to carry money around with you for tips. And having that button on the waiters and bartenders make it very clear what the policy is.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

Good idea with the buttons. We have never seen them, we only been going since 2003. Their job is just not worth gambling with.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

We tip the maid but very discreetly--- we also tip the jitney drivers who bring and take our luggage to and from our room---but again very discreetly.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

The job they make 80$ usd a week at? I have seen the paycheck of the DJ's there and well it is said that a weeks work is not worth 100$USD to them. Tipping is not allowed by the policy, but if you are smart and quiet no one knows! Just as you are not suppose to have workers in your rooms ...well we did and they had a blast both times and still to this day years later we have a few great friends for life because of it.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

We have many great friends (employees) at several Sandals that truly remember us and we have always enjoyed each others company. But we have always respected their jobs and livelyhood by never tipping, period.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping

Thanks for all the answers. It still feels strange but would not want to jeopordize someone's job.