We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing list essentials

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
packing list essentials

Hubby and I are heading to Jewel Dunn River in December...any hints on packing essentials would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Plainwell, Michigan
Level Contributor
836 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: packing list essentials

My travel “must haves”~

•Bubba keg

•Small insulated mug for ice to keep my lip balm cool and refreshing so it doesn’t melt.

•Wild beach towel~ to identify “my spot” on the beach or at the pool and to use as a blanket on the plane (and I know it’s mine) which fits nicely in my beach (carry-on) bag.

•Ziploc bags~ for stuff at the beach like camera, phone, Ipod, etc. or lotions/oils

~ for leftovers or snacks to be brought to the room, beach, pool or on

excursions. (Some resorts will pack you a disposable picnic lunch.)

~ for shells

•Clothespins to hang up swimsuits and to hold down my towel on a windy beach day.

•Range of sunscreens. It is better to have too much than not enough. Ours range from a 50+ face stick, to 30, 15, 8, 4 ,2 and no sunscreen. We usually use it all by slowly decreasing the number and end up with a GREAT tan.

•$1.00 bills for tipping. It usually isn’t necessary but we want to as it helps the Jamaican people.

•Tealight candles for a little ambiance in the tub

•Blow-up raft or kickboard (and leave it when done.)

•Nature’s Season Salt (a blend of salt, pepper, celery, garlic and onion salts) just in case we encounter “bland” food.

•First aid kit. We usually add some more items to it like anti-diarrheal meds., anti-itch cream, allergy relief tabs., and DEET bug spray. At times we have had to use one thing or another.

•Glow in the dark bracelets for the FUN nightlife.

•Paperback novels/magazines

•Deck of playing cards. (Meeting other couples and a few rounds of Euchre' is FUN!!)

•Hat or visor

•Collapsible cooler.

•A bathing suit and cover up for everyday of the week.

•Copy of passports, license, travel documents, etc.

•And a positive attitude.

HAPPY TRAVELS!!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: packing list essentials

A couple of things travelinJan didn't mention - I like to take a plug in air freshener/nightlight combo. Obviously works as a night light and also takes the mustiness that you sometimes get down south out of the room.

I also take post-it-notes in case I want to leave a message for the maid or fridge guy...

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: packing list essentials

TravelinJan - We love Euchre you won't be by chance at the Sunset Jamaica Grand between Nov 26 and Dec3rd will you? We could get a few hands in!

I have never been to Jamaica but I always pack in my traveling bag a wine bottle opener and a traveling alarm clock. I also have a small waterproof money/card holder that goes on a string around your neck.

Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: packing list essentials

bug spray, too many people mistake sand fleas for bed bugs in their reviews, they are real!

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: packing list essentials

We always pack aloe, our own shampoo, conditioner & soap, ketchup (They tend to have sweet pink ketchp & we love our ketchup) water cameras & water shoes if you plan on Dunns River Falls. Plenty of small bills, as we can never seem to find change. We also make sure we have room in our luggage for the stuff we bring home.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: packing list essentials

Be careful not to put your wine opener in your carry-on. I had my confiscated one year. The only person I was going to hurt with that was myself if I opened too many bottles, but they didn't see it that way at the airport.

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: packing list essentials

That happen to my husband a few year back also they threw out a really nice wine opener, I was just gald it wasn't my antquie one from my great grandpa! Also you may want to consider, bug wipes or lotion rather then a spray, I have had things that spray, go off in my luggage before! Not fun to clean.

Also I didn;t read everyone list really well but we take down bubble wrap and gallon size ziploc bags to bring back any rum or alcohol that we purchase down there, we also had a bottle of rum break one time, stunk all the way home!

8. Re: packing list essentials

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios