We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

Hi All,

We fly out to the Riu, Ochos Rios 2 months tomorrow ( 20th dec ),any advice appreciatted,for example.

Best currency to take.

Best tour company.

Info on Mosquittos.

best shopping area"s

Ect Ect.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mags

Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

i always use US currency

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

Im going a week on Sunday so when I get back I will be able to help you more, we don't know what currency to take at the minute but will take mainly UDS and just a bit of Jamaican Dollars I think.

Kierakins

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

We always take USD. Easy to get and for us, easy to convert.

Mosquitos - I'm prone to getting bites and I don't usually see any mosquitos. Sand fleas on the other hand.... I usually have bites from my knees down. I'd recommend bug spray and some sort of after bite for the itch. If you are susceptible, I'd also recommend taking some sort of antihistamine. DH never gets bitten, but I get enough bites for both of us and then some!

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

Just got back, had a fantastic time. Eat in the restaurant, especially the Steak!! We used paddle boat everyday, was fun. Hotel has good price on Dunns tour. If your room is stuffy, then chances are air conditioning not working properly, ask to be moved!! You are going to have fantastic time!! Had no prob with mosquitos, etc...

Andover, Minnesota
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

--We did not convert our money, no need to do that.

--The hotel has tour companies available on-site. They will sit down with you and you are able to schedule something through them. Very helpful and lots of choices.

--Don't remember any problems with mosquitos. Was prepared for sand flies (bug spray), but don't remember any problems with those either.

--There is a bus that frequently picks people up for excursions/trips to town. We took this a couple times, bus drops you off right at the shops. Can't remember the price, maybe $5 per person?

--We did the Snorkling/Dunns Falls/Catamaran Booze Cruise excursion. LOVED IT! (pack water shoes if you plan on doing this) We are heading back to RIU O.R. next spring and are thinking of doing it again!

--You will want to pack (or buy at the hotel gift shop once you get there) large insulated cups. The bars there only offer small plastic cups so your drinks get watered down quickly in the heat. They will fill your large cups for you!

lancashire
Level Contributor
204 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

take $1 bills for tips as its vertually impossible to get them at frount desk...

If you walk out of property you can flag a red plate taxi down to go into town for $1 per person each way we just asked to be drop off at hard rock lots of shops and margaritville 1 minute away very easy to find ....We used a local guide for trips his name is Rupurt if you ask one of the locals on the beach they will point you in his direction or phone him for you he is a loverly man trustworthy he was recomemded to us by hotel staff ..we saw a lot more of the area with rupurt than going on a tour/bus plus you do what you want at your time..

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

Thanks for your replies very much appreciated.

Mags

lincoln, england
Level Contributor
926 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

we only took jamaican dollars. the front desk were always willing to change the larger notes into 100 dollar notes for tipping.

we booked our trips with pauline, the thomson rep, she is excellent and will leave you in stitches lol

have a great time, i'll jealous!

9. Re: Riu,Ochos Rios in 2 months please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios