We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food shopping in Ocho Rios

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Food shopping in Ocho Rios

We are taking a family vacation to the St Ann and St Mary's area in a villa where we can prepare our own meals. My children can be picky eaters and I also have 2 teenagers that snack all the time. Can I pick up things like peanut butter, chips and cookies that they are use to eating at a supermarket there? How much more expensive are those types of items? I plan on us eating the local goodies too but I know how kids can turn their noses up at some things.

Thanks.

jamaica
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

Supermarkets are in the towns, they have pretty much everything your looking for, prices maybe a little more than where your from, depends on the supermarket.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

The selection of chips, cookies, etc... that you find will not be as expansive as you would find at home, and not always the same kinds - So if there is something specific that they must have, I would suggest bringing it -- Also, be aware that imported brands will be way more expensive - However, local brands / caribbean brands can be found very inexpensively, and are just as good. You will not only find snack stuff in the main grocery, even gas stations, etc... have them.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

To add - cost wise, I would say double or triple the price you would pay at home for the American brand.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

The above posts are true regarding variety and prices, and the snacks are mostly good locally produced ones. If your children will eat those you won’t need to carry lots of bulky snacks.

In Ochi there are three main supermarkets. Most popular is General Food Supermarket in Ocean Village Shopping Centre on Main Street; in the tourist area, close to the craft market and Taj Mahal. At the top of the square near the clock tower on Main Street is a well stocked, but cramped and crowded, Chinese owned supermarket. Good for many things, including drinks and snacks. There’s a useful short cut from that supermarket entrance to the general market. That’s well worth wandering around, not only for your fresh fruit and vegetables. The fresh produce are pricy compared to what I pay in Downtown Kingston, but much better quality than I see in the UK. A little further up Main Street, on the right but set back, is a branch of one of Jamaica’s large chain of supermarkets – and I can’t remember which one! I find it a bit expensive, although a TA member that shops regularly in Ocho Rios considers it cheaper than others. You could look and decide for yourself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

I think the one set back in the plaza is SuperPlua?

The chinese one is Soews or Seows or something?

Memory is failing me now! adding little value here lol

I'd personally bring the peanut butter, anything i've had there has either been over priced or horrid... also if they're into chocolate products, probably best to bring and put directly in the fridge... chocolate gets melty in hot climates and therefore the chocolate products are either made very differently (think of those "chocolate flavoured treats" rather than chocolate) or very expensive...

cookies/chips are great on the island IMO... TONS of variety and options... (and local brands are as said, very reasonable)...

try what they call "bun and cheese" hugely popular around easter, but available year round... they may find a new favourite snack :) it's a sweeter bun with a slice of cheese that is almost like a solid version of cheesewiz... sounds gross, but it works :)

when shopping keep in mind that most retailers have "bulk deals" ie the per unit price is cheaper when buying in multiple quantities (usually 3 and the price is for 3, not worked out to a per unit for 4 or 5, but 3, 6, 9.... )... (always found this funny, especially when they apply to say televisions or something lol)... wish they would have applied it to school uniforms and other school supplies tho!

i would try to get them to sample local cusine for dinner foods too... things like (real) hot dogs (not those reddish orange things they make there), chicken nuggets ect can be upwards of 3-5x what you'd pay in North America...

cereals are reasonably priced and readily available (can even find decent deals on north american cereals)...

Chellle

Edited: 26 October 2011, 14:26
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

It's been awhile since I checked out this question I submitted but I see I got some GREAT answers. We leave in 20 days!! Can't wait. I will definitely have my children try the local cusine because that is part of a travel experience but I will probably get them a few snack stuff from a local market. I have a 17 year old boy and everyone knows how much they eat!!

Silly question but can you take peanut butter in a carry on??

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

I'm glad you reposted. The Chinese supermarket has been expanded and improved. Worth walking around to see what is popular with Jamaicans. Oh! It's called Rexo.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

Thanks JAsoldier!! We will check it out!

9. Re: Food shopping in Ocho Rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:45