We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on Jamaica

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Topic
Help on Jamaica

How does one pick what part of Jamaica to visit? We are so looking forward to a trip from snowy Calgary at the end of Jan, this includes a 13 year old boy who wants a great pool and nice white sand, and lots of excursions, and his parents would like a 4 star or better AI Do I pick Ochios Rios, or Montego Bay? they all look so nice, and I know this is a Ocho Rios site, but any help would be so appreciated.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on Jamaica

Ocho Rios is closer to many places you may wish to visit. Montego Bay is closer to the airport. In between, there is Runaway Bay and some other spots. Aside from proximity to places to visit and the airport, there are no major differences between these areas. They are all on the north coast, with cove-type beaches (not long stretches) and the sand is not really white but more brown/yellow. I would just select a resort in your price range that appeals to you based on the photos in the review section. We are going in January with our teenage boys and chose the Hilton Rose Hall Resort. Have previously stayed as a couple at Sandals Montego Bay and Breezes Runaway Bay.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on Jamaica

Ocho Rios would probably be your better bet to be close to excursions that would attract a teen boy - or Runaway Bay -

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on Jamaica

oh this trip planning is such hard work. First we were suppose to go to Montego Bay with friends but that flew thri then Cozumel and that trip was canceled, now someone suggested Cozumel and someone else says try Jamaica again. I just want to go away from the snow for 7 days with a great AI and fun things to do, still leaning towards Cozumel a little but am looking. all over.

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on Jamaica

My sister and her family stayed at Beaches Negril when they went a few years back, close to alot of things also, but Emily (then 13) was bored as there weren't many kids her age (they went in April, don't know if that made a difference) but they did a ton of excursions and the last three days she started to hang out with a couple of kids her own age. Robin said that it seemed that the kids tended to be younger there, 10 and under mainly. But they loved the resort. ( I think it's beaches Boscobel, but not sure) Good Luck!

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on Jamaica

There are a lot of nice places in the Ocho Rios area. I personally liked that area due to it being real...meaning you can see how they really live, and not feel like you were dropped off in Hollywood and told this is all of California. Loads of excursions as well. The RIU looked nice as did the Holiday Inn. I really don't think you can go wrong...just read up on reviews here and see what others think.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on Jamaica

Yes TP12, it is Beaches Bosocbel up there in the Ocho. Many of the Beaches tend to be young teens on down in age. Great places though.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on Jamaica

Take a look at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach or Suites. They are supposed to have a new waterpark that is to be opened in January.

You will have a 4.5 star resort for your tastes and your son will have lots of other kiddos to play with.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on Jamaica

Check the Rose Hall areas. Iberostar, Hilton, Half Moon. Each has different entities to attract that age group. they you are close to golf, great house, Hip strip with margaritaville slide, chuckka tours, etc.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on Jamaica

Stay in Negril at the Grand Pineapple, you won't regret it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on Jamaica

I second Negil and Grand Pineapple. I am seriously considering making that my next place to stay at on my next visit. :)