We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vendors

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
vendors

Hi all,

My husband and i have travelled a lot around the carribean and have loved the interaction with most vendors,however reading some of the reviews its seems that there is a lot in jamaica and that they can be quite annoying.

I havent a problem as they are only trying to make a living,but i do get quite intimidated if they are too pushy,then the hubby steps in.

What are they like in Ochos town itself and on the beach at the riu.

mags

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vendors

we have stayed i ochio rios 4 times in the past 3 years a simple no thanks normally works, you could try and avoid the days the cruise ships are in and also a sunday seems a good day to walk around we find.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vendors

I agree, I would avoid shopping on cruise ship days unless you can get there before the ship gets in. I usually go downtown from the hills in the ealry morning and the vibe is much different then just a couple hours later. Hit the stalls and market as they are opening and the chances are for a great morning. Then head out of the area before the ship unloads you will be thankful you did ;)

Edited: 14 December 2011, 15:55
Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vendors

We were next door at the Jewel. The vendors on the property weren't pushy, and some were when we left to see their "huts" but nothing that you would need to have anyone step in. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same group of vendors. Usually we just said no, and it was all good.

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vendors

Thanks for the feedback,feeling a lot relieved now,i always try to help the locals out by buying some of their goods,but do get quite scared if they are in my face.As for my husband stepping in,i only meant that he takes over the bartering as he has got better negotiating skills than me.

Mags

wisconsin
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vendors

If your not interested, just be nice and say no thank you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vendors

Actually, I have been told by people who know that a "no thanks" can be confusing..the "thank you" part negates the "no" according to some, so just a plain "no" works best.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vendors

I would stick to being polite by saying "No, thank you".

There's no reason not to be polite....Jamaica in under the British Commonwealth & the Queen's English is taught in schools...Jamaican's know manners.

Just for interest sake...you'll often hear the phrase.... "where's my manners" and correct themselves. A "no, thank you" is completely understood by Jamaicans.

MagsCoventry....have fun in Jamaica!

8. Re: vendors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2012, 10:21