We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

I want to take my daughter to Ocho Rios when she turns 13 to climb Dunns Falls. We'll do some snorkeling and other activities but the falls is her main desire. My hubby won't be going and is nervous about 'his girls' going to Jamaica by themselves. Thought it would reassure him if we stayed at an AI, but all the ones I seem to find that look nice are for adults only. Definitely want beachfront with a pool. Any ideas??

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

Try looking at Beaches Boscobel which is located just east of Ocho Rios. This all inclusive resort takes 13 year olds (actually it takes all ages), is on the beach, and has a pool plus lots more.

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

you can try riu ocho rios

Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

Your best bet would be Sunset Jamaica Grande.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

Focusing solely on the 13 year old (assuming she's sociable) would probably recommend Sunset Jamaica Grande, then Boscobel, then Riu Ocho Rios.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 06:26
Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
927 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

^^^Agree

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

Girlfriend at work took her 2 girls to Ocho Rios ( 13 and 9), and they loved Riu Ocho Rios. Her girls loved Dunn's River Falls so much they went back 3 times during their trip. Just be sure to check the cruise ship schedule before going, you do not want to go on a day when the ship is in dock.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

If you could afford Beaches that would be a fun place but IMO a tad over priced.

RIU would be a nice alternative but it is BIG. This will give you a nice overall vacation though with no worries.

I have not seen or been to Sunset Jamaica Grande but have heard it is nice for a 3* resort. Isn't this the one with a water park? If so that would be great for a 13yr old.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

we took our daughter from the age of 13 to 17 to the jamaica grande and she loved the place its easy for them to make friends as its popular for families

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

I agree with other posters Riu Ocho Rios is a great resort and would be a good choice !

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AI in Ocho Rios that allows 13 year olds?

Thanks for all your replies :)

We definitely do not want Beaches, as we won't take advantage of all that they have to offer so why pay for it. Plus, we want some mom-daughter time and would be happy at a resort that doesn't have kids except she still qualifies as one! So I will definitely check out Riu and SJG. I think I saw another thread about RUI that mentioned some good beachfront snorkeling. Any expereince with that? We would love to spend most our time on the beach and snorkeling but for the trip to Dunns Falls, and again, the more we could do at our lodging without taking cabs/walking would help.

We never do AIs but I think it's the only way the hubby/dad is going to feel okay with us going.....unless, are there any beachfront resorts in Ocho Rios that have condo-type settings with kitchens so that we could prepare and eat alot of our meals in? Then we wouldn't have to go out for meals all the time, which is what I think makes the DH nervous.