We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

Selma, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

I am going to Jamaica in about three weeks, We land in Kingston and want to go to Ocho Rios for a day and Nigrel for a day what is the best, safest and cheapest way to get there? Should we rent a car or take a bus?

Anyone know the cost of hiring a driver, sounds expensive.

Thank you!

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

The cheapest, safest way from Kingston to Ocho Rios would probably be the Knutsford Express - Are you aware of the distances you are contemplating travelling, though? Kingston to Ochi will be at least two hours - Kingston to Negril will be about 5 - There are plenty of other places nearer to Kingston to visit without spending so much time in the car.

Yes, hiring a private driver for that trip will be expensive -

Selma, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

Do you have suggestions near kingston? We will only be there for 3 days, we are actually going to see my daughter in the army and extended our trip to see a little bit of Jamaica. We are just looking for beaches, snorkeling, fishing & music. I would love some suggestions as I would not like to spend a lot of time driving.

Thank you for your time!

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

The most popular beach around Kingston is Hellshire, good seafood and music on the beach.

Selma, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

if you only had three full days would you travel to ocho rios or nigrel? I don't want to spend the entire time traveling but having a difficult time deciding.

Thank you so much for your reply

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

I took a day trip from Ocho Rios to Negril and that alone was 2.5 hours each way, so 5 hours round trip. Conisdering Kingston is like over an hour from Ochi and your only in Jamaica for a short time.. I wouldn't waste your time cuz you would pretty much spend your whole time in a car... and I also would not reccommend driving yourself around Jamaica if it is your first time there. The drivers are insane.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

I would not make that trip with that short of a time - I would explore the area around Kingston - Port Royal, Bob Marley's House, Devon House for Ice Cream, do a tour of a coffee plantation, etc... -

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

st thomas parrish offers a lot of nice, much more off the beaten path, type sites/excursions.. bath, blue mountain treks, reggae falls, untouched shorelines to name a few... all within an hourish or so from kingston.. of course kingston itself has plenty to offer too, as mentioned above...

Chelle

kingston
Level Contributor
616 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

Plenty to do in Kingston.

Spend a day at a coffee Plantation in the Blue Mountains.

Another 2 days touring historical sites- Bob Marley Museum, Tuff Gong Studio, Culture yard, Institutes of Jamaica, Liberty Hall & historic Spanish Town.

Nuneaton...
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

Hi likalu

Look at http://budgettoursjamaica.com/ See how far Ocho Rios and Negril are from Kingston?

If I were you, for security and vehicle backup, I would go to Ocho Rios on day 1 and South Coast on day 2, using the above link. You can pay for then over the internet. I have used them three times while staying in Runaway Bay, last five years. I would then use a local private hire driver / guide to do Kingston and the area around on day 3.

Negril is too far.

Car renting, I wouldn't encourage.

Hope that is useful and relevant. Sorry if it ain't.

Happy travelling and enjoy Jamaica.

Regards,

1november

Paramount...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kingston to Ocho Rios and nigrel

have you left yet? if you are still here, or in jamaica...send me a message and i will link you with my driver, mark. he is also on facebook at marcus rasta tours. contact me at bwilliamsben@yahoo.com

one love

bee