We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocho rios

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
ocho rios

Have been looking at lots of hotels and areas, but (I think!!) have now picked Clubhotel Riu Ocho Rios, for the 5th Jan 2013!! is this a good choice? will the wealther be hot and sunny? is the beach nice? hotel nice? bars and resturants outside the complex? Any info welcome. Thanks

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocho rios

You should read the recent reviews for the hotel and decide. Read the bad and the good. Also, do a search of this forum for the Riu and it will answer a lot and help you eliminate the "I think" or pick something else.

We personally would not stay there because of some of the things I've read BUT others have gone and been real happy with it. We also don't book so far ahead but others do I guess you could. I'd take the the next couple of months to do heavy reseach so you can make a decision your sure of.

As far as the weather? Always hot!

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ocho rios

Don't know about the hotel itself, but Mammee Bay is a beautiful stretch of beach.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocho rios

The Jewel (where we're going!) is in Mammee Bay!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ocho rios

so are we in two weeks! cannot wait

crittercat

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ocho rios

The last I recall seeing, there is a newish bar/club across the street on the main road. There are also some shops right there. I wish I had detailed recent information, but I haven't stayed right there in a couple years...although it's a great area. We've rented villas there for years. Recently, we've been venturing out and exploring other parishes, but it always feels like home there. If you find a local driver, you might take a short ride up to Steer Town. That's the town on the hillside across from Riu. There are some local bars and food shops there. The view of the seaside is wonderful as you go up. It's a nice way to get off the resort and see a little of the local area, while being still very close to your hotel. Be sure to move around with someone you trust though and be careful at night. I've felt very safe in Steer Town, but now and then things change. If you get a chance to see a football game on the common, enjoy!

The beach is not a long, long stretch, but it's very nice. Soft light sand, pretty villas along the west, the hillside.. Sigh. You're making me homesick!

Have fun! I hear the weather is quite hot right now.

p.s. My picture for the forums is mammee bay beach.

Edited: 24 March 2012, 11:40
london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ocho rios

Hi, thanks for all the info. Booked today, I know it's a long way off Jan'13!! But I need to plan ahead for work and family. Can't wait!!

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ocho rios

Hey. Where did you end up booking? I understand having to book ahead. Atleast you have plenty of time to be prepared. On the other hand the wait would drive me crazy. I'm driving hubby crazy talking about our vacation..hehe!

Edited: 26 March 2012, 13:10
london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ocho rios

Hi, booked Clubhotel Riu, upgraded to Deluxe. Hope it's nice!!!

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ocho rios

We were at the Riu Ocho Rios in 2010. The beach is very good. There are some things to do immediately outside the resort. When we were there they were just opening a bar/restaurant which, from the road, looks like a galleon. They had the bar open but were just waiting for the finishing touches in the kitchen before they could open the restaurant. We just poked our heads through the door and the manager invited us in and showed us all around it. It looked really nice and he said they would be having karaoke nights on a regular basis. There are a few shops outside including some "garden shed" shops. The locals are awesome and we spent a lot of time just chatting to them even though we hadn't taken any money out with us, they still wanted to talk to us.

If you want to go into town, don't use the hotel taxis as they are very expensive. If you walk to the end of the hotel drive you can flag down a local taxi (make sure it's an official one) and it costs you a fraction of the price.

The weather will be hot during the day but may cool down in the evenings. The pools and sea will also be a lot cooler than in the summer. The bars and restaurants are fine. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ocho rios

You made a great choice.I have stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios and loved it.There is nothing not to love.Most people that complain are usally just that a complainer.The beach is really nice food is great and people are so friendly.Jewells which is next door is so over rated.Their beach is so small wouldnt waste my money going there.Your going to have a blast.I leave for Jamaica next week.The Junior suites at the Riu are all ocean view.Beautiful