We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande Riviera

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande Riviera

We are planning our honeymoon for next Spring and we have narrowed our search down to three resorts. We have never done AI but figured it may best after a year of wedding planning, we just want to go and chill! We are looking at Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana, Excellence Riviera Cancun, and Sandals Grande Riviera in Ochos Rios. They are all at a similar price point of about $4,300 for the type of room we would like. We understand every resort has it's pros and cons so it is hard for us to decide based on the reviews each of these resorts have received. We are not overly picky or hard to please but we do want good service and food as it is not cheap to stay at these places. Any suggestions out there? We are open to hearing about other places too! Ps I love a good beach which I know Sandals Grande does not really have but we are intrigued by there other activiietes and variety of restaurants etc.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

SGR is our favorite resort and we have been there 5 times! It doesn't necessarily have a "bad" beach. It is just broken up due to the pier. There is a beach club with a pool and beach. Then there is a part between the pier which is really calm, so I really like swimming there. Then there is the water sports area. And the ocean view is very nice, and there is a restaurant and bar on the pier that are nice to sit at and listen to the waves.

Not sure what you're looking for, but it is our favorite because it is very big. You never run out of things to do. You could eat dinner at a different place each night and still not try them all. I like the food there. I am vegetarian, and they usually will make something special for me which all resort will not do. Any other questions, feel free to message me.

I haven't been to the others you mentioned so I can't compare.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Thanks! Yeah the size and variety of the resort is very intriguing to us. We were in Jamaica earlier this year and fell in live with people and culture. We were looking at a butler villa suite on the manor side, where have you stayed if you don't mind me asking?

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

We always stay on the Manor side. It's more private over there, and the private pools are great! Never did Butler, but just never thought we needed one. I'm sure you would love it!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
82 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

My husband and I have been to SGR twice and loved it both times. We have stayed on the Manor side only and loved the private pool. We spent the majority of our time on the Manor side, but did enjoy going between both sides and did find that there was always lots to do.

We have also been to Sandals in Antigua and St. Lucia, so if you have questions for these resorts, feel free to ask.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Thanks! Yes we are interested in any of the resorts in the Sandals line. I will say we really are attracted to the butler service since its our honeymoon. Which resort is your favorite?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
82 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

SGR is my favorite, although we have enjoyed our time at each of the resorts as they all are different and all have positive and a few minor points. We have enjoyed the people and culture while in all 3 countries.

Boston...
Level Contributor
876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Having been to both SGR and Excellence, I would choose EPM over SGR. SGR was too big for us and the entry level rooms at Excellence include things that you need to have Conceirge and Butler service for at Sandals. We also preferred the food and service at EPM over SGR as well. Just my personal opinion

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Thank you! We appreciate all the feedback! We were thinking of doing the Excellence club if we went with Excellence, any opinion on this?

Boston...
Level Contributor
876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

This has been a hot topic of discussion in the Excellence forums. The EC and non EC rooms are identical to each other. The EC will get you an ocean view ( not really ocean front like the Excellence website says) it will also get you bottles of alcohol in your room as well as updated toiletries. For us, we have never upgraded to EC. For the roughly 140.00 more per day, I would rather save the money and stay a few days longer. I don't really need bottles of alcohol in my room as there are many bars nearby.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera

Thanks! Makes sense!

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations