We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

Oh my goodness, I am so excited to be going to Jamaica for the first time. We'll be staying at SGR. I've been reading the reviews and taking notes for months now but I still have a couple questions:

1. We would like to see one or two other Sandals / Beaches properties, while we are there. I know we will have to get a cab to go but do we have to pay anything else to spend time at these other resorts (food, etc)? Does Sandals give you a hard time about visiting these other resorts?

2. We plan on going to Duns River Falls. Should we go via the catamaran cruise or via the road transportation?

3. Has anyone bought the pictures taken at SGR? How much are they? Are there any package deals for pictures?

Is there anything else specific you think I should know about? (other than the chocolate buffet...please God, let them still have the chocolate buffet.) :)

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

We return 9/11/12 for our 8th visit there --- it's our favorite resort. If you go to another Sandals or Beaches the transportation will be at your own expense but you can eat and drink for free while there. We finally took the catamaran to Dunn's River this past February and we had a blast!!! I have purchased pictures---but that was about 3 years ago and they were about $16 each and I had them put on a CD. They still have the chocolate buffet and White Night on Wednesday night. 2 of the restaurants require reservations--- Kelly's and Kimono's --- make sure you make your reservations the day you get there as they book up fast. Go --- have a great time and don't sweat the small stuff!!

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

The only Sandals you will not have exchange privileges with is Sandals Royal Plantation. If you are booked in a butler level accomodation, you may be able to get special permission to visit for a tour but that would be it for that property. The only other one near by is Beaches Boscobel which is undergoing some construction here and there so not sure if it would be worth your time paying for taxi fare to go visit.

I agree, take the catamaran cruise to Dunn's River Falls. Tons of fun!!

Photos are still expensive. They typically offer packages, like buy 5 for "X" amount or they throw in a free picture frame, etc...

Have fun!! : -)

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

Have a great time, just eight more days for my wife and I, going to the Jewel in Ocho Rios. Fresh Red Stripes mmmmm....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

We had pictures taken at Sandals Negril and they were kind of expensive but well worth it. We got a free frame as well. I believe it was around 15 photos for like 240. The photographer did a great job and I would highly recommend it. We did ours at sunset because they were so beautiful there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

Hi Elle P,

My wife and I are leaving for Sandals SGR in a few weeks as well. Looks like we'll be down there at the same time as you. I hope you don't mind me using your post for some info of my own as we had some of the same questions as you. We're definetly planning on doing the catamaran tour to Dunns River Falls. As well we're planning on the ziplining as we did it in St. Lucia last year and had an absolute blast.

Thanks and have a safe trip and maybe we'll see you down there!

G

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

In January, we did the catamaran trip to Dunns River Falls. It was tons of fun!!! The music and dancing coming back was a riot!! Just know that if it is a windy day and you tend to get motion sickness, take some meds ahead of time. We did not have a problem but others did.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

I got a special tour of Sandals Royal Plantation, and it is really not even worth visiting. It is teeny tiny, and so quiet. We took the tour in like 15 minutes, and I was stopping to take pictures. It is the polar opposite of SGR, and I'd just enjoy your time there as opposed to walking over to SRP. It is literally right next door. It is just so small that if all the SGR people went over there, it'd be chaos! I was happy I went to see it though because I am just trying to see them all now :)

There is still a chocolate buffet, and I think it was on Wednesday while we were there. Be sure to get there when it starts to have your pick of everything. The chocolate rimmed champagne was awesome!

We took a catamaran cruise and had an awesome time! It was free for Reunion Week, and didn't go to the Falls, but we really liked it.

The pictures are $16 a picture. There will be a 50% off sale in the Daily Breeze one day (the daily newsletter telling you what's going on each day). It won't say it, but you have to buy at least 10 to get the discount. So, you would get 10 for $80. That is your best bet if you want a lot. We didn't want that many. It wasn't our honeymoon or anything. You can also have a free photo shoot. There will probably be plenty you would want. :)

Be sure to go up to the top of the Manor hill to lookout point. You can ask a jitney driver to take you up there. Great view of the ocean, and you can see the Riviera side of the resort from up there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

BSBgirl337,

Thank you for your comment. I can't believe Royal Plantation is so small...I think I will just skip that tour.

The info on the pictures has been very helpful. I'm an avid picture taker and I plan on doing a photo shoot with my hubby...which means I will want to buy them. I will definitely be taking advantage of the 50% deal, if they have it....thanks for that tip.

I appreciate all the feedback. I think we will take the catamaran to Dunns river falls, since everyone seems to love it.

Today makes 15 days...I'm so excited! My hubby keeps singing the sandals commercial song...we can hardly wait.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

I take tons of pictures, too! We bought like 5 on our honeymoon, and 5 another time when they were on special. It's hard to spend that much when it's just a vacation.

Here's a link to a facebook fan page, too, if you are interested. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-of-Sandals-Grande-Riviera-Sandals-Grande-Ocho-Rios/179766952072250#!/pages/Fans-of-Sandals-Grande-Riviera-Sandals-Grande-Ocho-Rios/179766952072250

Fort Walton Beach FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving for Sandals Grande Riviera in 18 days!

Can anyone tell me how long the Dunns River fall (via catamaran) tour lasts, and what time does it start (ie leave the resort)? i'm staying at SGR.