We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

telephone cards to call home to US

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
telephone cards to call home to US

Hi , I will like to keep in tourch with my parent is SF when I am

on cruise in Ocho rios, is there local telephone card you can

purchase that you can call home to US. Where can you buy

this and what is the calling code. We are arriving by cruise.

Parents does not use internet.

My brother in law has a I- phone. would that help or not

United States
Level Contributor
10,989 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

Phone cards usable in Jamaica to call the US are available many places (hotels, gas stations, etc.). However, they normally come with a large number of min. and thus are expensive to use for just one phone call home.

The I-phone, or most cell phones, will work if they are tri or quad band phones. Call your cell phone company with the exact make and model to see if it works in Jamaica or not. Also ask about the cost of a call home. Prices in the range of $US1.50 to $US2.00 per min. are common.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 16:29
San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

So , do you happen to know the calling code to call back from Ocho

Rios to US . I am not that computer or tech savvy, does the place

in Ocho Rios need some kind of " reception" in order for our phone to

work.

I want to make sure our parents are ok when we are gone.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Just in case if our phone does not work there, are there call center or

computer center around Ocho Rios where you can pay and then call

somehow

United States
Level Contributor
10,989 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

The phone system works the same in Jamaica as in the US or Canada. To call home (since you are not in the same area code as SF) you dial 1+area code+phone no.

For a cell phone you need to call your cell phone company in the US (well before you leave home) and see if your cell phone has been activated for placing calls from a foreign country or not. If it is not activated, they will step you thru the process.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

Since I'm sure Ocho Rios isn't your only port of call, check with the other ports of call as well. One may be cheaper to call home from (I doubt it, but it would be worth checking on).

I know in Montego Bay, there are a few shops on the Hip Strip that will let you make calls anywhere for free (you don't even have to buy anything from the shops). You may want to ask and see if anyone knows of any shops in Ocho Rios that will let you do the same thing.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

HI, My cruise goes to Ocho Rios and Cayman Island, does anyone know

know as the Montego Bay expert said above that any shop that will

let you call home for free or does anyone know if it is cheaper to

call US from Ocho rios or Cayman Island. ON the cruise, I know it is

really expensive to call home , so that is why I was thinking of calling

when our cruise stop in the destination. I will try the Cayman Island

forum too to see if anyone can give me any heads up.

Well , anyway, many many thanks for the info so far

Boston area
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

Carnival .. I bought a phone a few years ago from a company called mobal.com and have used it now on many different trips -- Mexico, Ireland, Costa Rica and soon in Jamaica. You buy it with a certain amount of time free and then they will charge your credit card. I have found it so great to be able to just give people at home my phone number, etc while traveling.

it is an english company and you end up with a UK telephone number and have to call and use codes they tell you on their website, but it really has worked out great for us .. we even switched out the sim to another phone when ours died during our trip to Costa Rica ..

Anyhow, one more idea for you if you travel sometimes - you'd be able to use it at any of the countries in the Caribbean I think ..

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated

8. Re: telephone cards to call home to US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17