We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
getting around

hi am thinking of going to the clubhotel riu ocho rios in october, what are the trips avilable but not with the reps, someone said you can get a local bus? where does it go etc ?? food ???? anything local outside the hotel ?

hope someone can help as we plan to book before the price goes up AGAIN !!

thanks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around

You can do any day trip you want without the reps. Checkout the top questions area on the right side of this board and Im sure you will be able to find plenty of drivers to take you any where you want to go. We used Paul Williams but there are plenty of great drivers out there. Whatever you make sure to explore outside of the resort walls, we liked Shaw Park Botanical gardens and the Bob Marley 9 mile tour.

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around

thanks very much for your prompt reply, we were also wondering about locaql transport i.e. the bus as we find that mode of transport more fun, and somebody ? posted that there was a bus stop not far from the hotel.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around

Check out Peat Taylor Tours. They have many options to fit all needs. www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com We have been using this family for years after trying many others. Have a great trip

Brantford
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting around

Myself and two friends are going Oct 6th when are you going

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting around

we go on 15th oct, hope you have fab time, any idea if there will be millions of mosquitos as I always seem to get bitten no matter what protection I use, and do you know anything ablout the local buses ?

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting around

thanks for that, just wondered if you had used the local buses, as we love getting in amongst the locals no matter where we go in the world, be it other Carribean islands,India or Africa we have never had any problems

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting around

thanks for that, as there are 4 adults and 1 child, do you think they would take us all in the same vehicle? when you went to the Bob Marley thing was it far, how long did it take to get there and approx how much did it cost ?? any other tips ???

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting around

Any quality transportation company will have a vehicle large enough to accomodate your group. If I remember right the Bob Marley 9 mile tour took around 2 hours travel time each way but was totally worth it if you really want to see the country. Avoid the "group tour" offered through the hotel and book private transportation on your own, plenty of great drivers can be found at this website. We had our driver stop in several towns to get a drink and soak up some real local flavor at OUR pace. How old is the child that you will be traveling with if you do not mind me asking? Keep in mind you will be told at Nine Mile to "smokem if you got em" if you know what I mean, if that bothers you may want to think twice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting around

@Patsyfagan

I don't go to JA that much but my parents are Jamaican and I have been there a few times in the past. If you fancy being in with the local community you can get the local mini buses which stops near the hotel and they can take you to Ocho Rios where you can also get loads of other buses going all over the place. (I think that rate is about 1US dollar but don't quote me as I haven't been there in years and I only pay in JA currency) They do tend to pack them in so don't be surprised but its very cheap that way & a good way to experience the country first hand. I travel that way all the time and its quite entertaining. Ocho Rios has loads of things to eat from Jerk Chicken & JA patties to Burger King etc etc for the kids. Have good banter with everyone and you'll be fine. The touristy places are safe (as long as your sensible like anywhere in the world) compared to Spanish Town & other places I have been to with family its like Disney Land. I can't help you on tours as I don't do them.

liverpool
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting around

thanks for the info, will deffinitely have a go on the buses, like anywhere in the world you just have to be sensible