We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

We will be visiting Sandals Grande Riviera in November.

I would love to hear from anyone who booked a private transfer directly through Sandals for this resort.

I know that there are cheaper options but I would feel more comfortable using the Sandals transfer.

I read a review quite some time ago where someone said they paid for the transfer but when they got there they were told that there was no record of it and that the Grande Riviera does not even have private transfers.

I have contacted Sandals and they have advised that they do have transfers to this resort.

Just wanted to hear from someone who has used it in the past and if they had a good experience.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
754 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

On our first visit to SGR about 5 years ago we used a private transfer. I had arranged it through the Sandals phone number (I used them to book the room as well). When we arrived at the welcome room at MBJ the Sandals staff were well aware of the arrangements.

Since then we have been satisfied to use the provided shuttle. It is a large comfortable bus unlike the mini van we had when we were in St Lucia. I, well we, decided to use the savings for extra spa visits and excursions.

Even with the usual stop which you could avoid with the PT it wasn't that bad of a ride.

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

Thanks Tully!

We used the provided transfer last time we were at the Grande (although that was many moons ago!) and enjoyed the trip as well.

I think we are going to do the private transfer to the resort and take the provided transfer back to the airport.

I appreciate hearing about your expierience - makes me feel more comfortable!

This is our first trip sans kids since out honeymoon (17 yrs ago!) and we want to make it special.

You seem to know a lot about this resort. Have you been since the renovations? I can't wait to see the changes. Any other info/advise you have would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
754 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

During our last trip they had just announced the renovation program. We are looking forward to it as well. There is a Friends of Sandals Facebook page that has tons of pictures. Also there are quite a few videos on Youtube.com Some are from guests, some from Sandals and some from Travel agencies.

IMHO I sort of enjoy meeting the people on the bus on the way there. Get to know someone before we arrive. Then leave on a PT, if I were going to use it, for the ride to the airport so I could leave when I wanted to.

But, getting to the resort sooner does have its advantages. One being no crown getting off the bus with you going to check in.

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

I do like chatting to people on the bus as well. Pros and cons either way I guess.

I just did the online chat and they advised that it's $265 one way. I thought it was $240.00 before but I guess I was wrong. They advised they now use an Audi or Mercedes - no limo.

I think we're going to book it for the trip from the airport - really anxious to get there!

Thanks for all the great advice/info Tully

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

We always use the shuttle and never have a long wait. Last time we had a large tour bus and it was just the 2 of us. The time before that there was only 2 of us and they sent a car---didn't seem to get us there any faster.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

We have always used the sandals provided transportation, and have never had an issue. I honestly don't think there's anything a private transfer could do for me to make it worth $265, but that is up to you. Also, don't trust the Sandals chat people. They give inaccurate info!

The fan page on facebook is Fans of Sandals Grande Riviera, and you can ask others about their private transportation experiences as well. We have always only had enough time to use the restroom, get a drink, and go. Probably the most people we have ever ridden with is like 6 other couples, and some are Concierge, some are Butler, so it isn't really an issue checking in either. And if everyone agrees there's no need to stop, they will ride right through. Even when you stop, it is for 10-15 minutes tops.

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

Thanks everyone!

I have ended up booking the private transfer through Sandals. A little extravagant but it's a suprise for my hubby - and he's worth it (after all he has put up with me all these years! haha)

The other companies I checked were cheaper but I felt more comfortable booking direct.

In case anyone is thinking of booking through Sandals - they do give a slight discount if you book roundtrip but you can book one way.

We were quoted $265.00 one way and they charged us $480.00 roundtrip.

They advised it would be either a Rolls Royce or a Mercedes Benz.

Thanks again to everyone for their responses!

BSBGIRL - I know what you mean about the Sandals Chat people - we have had the same experience where they have given misinformation. I even had the e-mail of the transcript of what was said and they denied. Were rather rude about it as well. I called the 888 number this morning to book as I didn't trust the chat and the girl was less than friendly and not very much help. I have called before and they were really helpful - maybe she was just having a bad morning!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

I don't call too often, but the chat people have flat out lied to me! They are not worth talking to!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

Enjoy your private transfer! :)

Fort Walton Beach FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Grande Riviera - Private Transfer

we booked a private transfer as well through sandals, but we had to get a van b/c there are 4 of us. My husband wanted something more luxurious, but i guess that wasn't an option for 4 people (according to our travel agent). Roundtrip was $380 for four people.