We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

Hey all, just doing research for a bunch of us older farts (late 40's).

This would be my 5th trip to Jamaica (never a bad time!) - but I have some questions about the RIU that hopefully somone can answer.

We would be booking into the "deluxe" wing - what is the difference between ocean VIEW and ocean FRONT??

Do they have Rye wiskey there? (yup - we're Canadian! LOL)

Are the room safes the digital type, or do we have to carry a key around? Are the room keys "keys" or plastic cards? (trivial stuff to me, but others wished me to ask).

Are there toiletries in the rooms? (shampoo / creme rinse)? (me, I just use soap, but Im a guy LOL)

Which of the restaurants are "a la carte"? A bit confusing as some have said they're ALL buffets???

Lastly, is there any advantage to signing up for a Riu card before we book?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

from what ive researched so far:

difference between the two room types is the oceanfront is directly in front of ocean, while the oceanview have a side view of the ocean (although pictures from oceanview rooms look the same to me as the oceanfront)

Haven't heard much about Rye whiskey, but they use alot of generic alchohol brands, so if they do, it wont be no Crown Royal

What ive read about the safes, is they are digital (all other rius ive stayed at before all had digital safes). for the rooms, the deluxe wing suites has keycards, while the regular rooms use a key

There are toiletries, just your basics though

All reservation restaurants seem to be a la carte, except the asian one is still buffet style

Riu has a point system where you get points for using a riu card, you can use these for rewards like free night stays etc. I have read a few times on this forum about people getting room upgrades when they use this card at check in if the hotel is not fully booked. And I believe you can get discounts on tours or spa treatments while there with this card as well. I got one just in case...

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

Hi. We are also thinking of visiting this hotel. Can anyone comment on the weather late October? Is it true that Ocho Rios generally has a good climate all year round? Can anyone confirm the flying time from Manchester? Thanks.

Ontario
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to thank you for posting. We're considering this resort as well and are trying to gather lots of information. Can anyone comment on the beach? Is it a nice one?

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

in october the weather may be sweet but a little rainy..

there is a little bit of a rainy season on that part of the north coast corresponding to the cooler weather in the north hemisphere , but normally in october it is not so bad, it is worst around christmas..

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

the beach of the riu ocho rios is a superb beach, the water is pretty and deep, it is linked with the mammee bay beach and you can walk quite a distance on it, the colours are wonderful..

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
110 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

Heading there in five days (YES!) and it will be my second time there. We really liked the Riu.

The beach is beautiful! No waves, which some like and some don't. It's not right in Ocho Rios which I actually like as it's a bit quieter.

I think I wrote a review after my first visit. We think it's a nice hotel and a good value.

7. Re: Thinking of Rio Ocho Rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 01:19