We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water temp in December

Seaford, Delaware
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Topic
water temp in December

Hello,

we have only been to Jamaica in the summer months, i was just wondering if there is a noticeable difference in the Carribean water temp?

Last Dec. we went to Cancun & the ocean was very chilly..what a dissapointment. I dont need exact temps but just want t o know if theres much of a diference between summer & winter? I just love the warm bath water like of the summer months!

Thanks to any one that answers!

United States
Level Contributor
11,919 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water temp in December

Here is the temp. for every month of the year

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c159892/Jamai…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water temp in December

i went to Jamaica last December the week before Christmas. It was very windy, and there was a few rainy days. At night I noticed that it was still hot, but the wind made it cooler.. actually, my local friends kept commenting that it was cold out and were all wearing jeans and such.. .being from Canada, I dont find 26 degrees at night to be cold.. but to each their own I guess.

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
765 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water temp in December

Zebra, Hopefully your temp of 26 is in Centigrade. That should equate to Fahrenheit (in the states) to about 78 or 79. That should be warm enough for tropicalgirl. Tropicalgirl, the temps in JA do not fluctuate from month to month like in the states.

This link with give the temps in F.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147312-s208/Ocho-Rio…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water temp in December

Yes, I am from Canada.. we use Celsius... no idea what that is in Fahrenheit. haha

Seaford, Delaware
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: water temp in December

Thanks guys ! i was looking for OCEAN temps. so thanks thevinnie for the link.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: water temp in December

We live in FL and do not travel to MX or JA between December and April as the water temps are just too cold for us. We go to the islands for beach and water so stick to months when we can really enjoy it.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,195 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: water temp in December

We always go to Jamaica in January and have found the water to be great. But then we're from MN and anything outside of the snow is great!

Seaford, Delaware
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: water temp in December

thanks all.. we usually go to Aruba for Christmas, got busy this year & waited to late to book & the places we would want to stay are sold out. So was looking for somewhere ele & like Caviargal says I want to be able to enjoy warmer water so will stick to the summer months for Jamaica!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,195 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: water temp in December

Jamaica will be just fine for you then tropicalgirl.

10. Re: water temp in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 08:19