We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGR Butler Service

Manchester, New...
1 post
Save Topic
SGR Butler Service

My husband and I are going to SGR this month and our suite has butler service. What is the preferred way to tip... daily or at the end of your stay? Also, how much should be factored per day/per butler?

Thanks for any advice!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGR Butler Service

Typical rates you will see discussed here on the Forum are $20/day per Butler. We just asked our Butlers...they both, independently expressed a desire to be compensated at the end of the stay. I suggest you just be forthright and ask your Butlers this question.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SGR Butler Service

adevine24: The other thing we do is bring along from home, two thank you cards and write a personal note to each Butler whilst we are on property, in each card. Then when we say 'goodbye' to each we present each one with their card.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SGR Butler Service

We tip a minimum of $20 a day per butler and tip them at the end of the stay. We just make sure we know the last night we will see them so we don't miss them.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SGR Butler Service

SRCFan and Mficke- How about if you stay longer than a week (9 nights)? Would you have more than one set of butlers or just a sub for their days off? And- how would you handle tipping in that case?

Thanks!

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SGR Butler Service

They work in shifts ---one in the morning and one in the afternoon ---when one is off, the other works the whole day. Here at SGR now and they work from 7-3 and the other works from 2-10 and when 1 is off the other works from 7 in the morning until 10 at night so I still figure a minimum of $40 a day times how many nights we stay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SGR Butler Service

Thanks for the info!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SGR Butler Service

sandalsbeachlover: mficke0713's experience is similar to ours. When one Butler has the day off the other has tended to our needs all day and through the evening as well. Even during just a 7 night stay, it's not uncommon that over that timeframe, one or even both of your Butlers will have a day off. It's never been the same day, but it happens often. The only time that changed was one day, our scheduled Butler couldn't come in due to some family emergency, so a third Butler took care of us for a few hours. He did very little for us so we just tipped him a few dollars for the few hours of service he did provide.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SGR Butler Service

Hey SRCfan---headed over to SRC today for our second week!! Can't wait to see our R & J walkout suite!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SGR Butler Service

mficke0713: Irie! Enjoy...if you see Hughill and Ellis @ SRC, please tell them the Bartell's say hello.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SGR Butler Service

SRCfan----we are here!! OMG!! What a room!! I may never leave the room !! :-)