We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

??Excursions??

Stoughton...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
??Excursions??

Hi All,

My Boyfriend and I will be heading to SGR March 19th -25th. We are trying to figure excursions and day trips. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :) we are thinking of only doing 1 because how short i'm stay is but definitely want to do the one that we get the most out of. Here are the ones we are thinking of..

Dunn's Falls Catamaran, Camel Ride with Plantation Tour & Dunn's River Falls Experience or South Coast River, Rum & Falls. Should we head over the Margaritaville to check that out?

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ??Excursions??

Dunns River Falls for sure.

Fairport, New York...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ??Excursions??

I'm hoping you get some responses, bc we're going March 16 (first time at an all-inclusive) and are wondering the same thing! We don't want to be "bored" (my boyfriend isn't a huge laying-in-the-sun kind of person, so def want some things to do), but we went on a cruise 2 years ago and the excursion we booked totally sucked. Also - we don't want to miss any evening activities on the resort if we're gone somewhere!

Stoughton...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ??Excursions??

Thanks MikeT--Dunns is on the top of our list. is the Catamaran worth it??

Funluvin_Jenn I'm in the same boat with the boyfriend and the sun but he is a trooper. I feel the same way. this is our 1st trip to Sandals and Jamaica and I don't want to miss anything :) We booked a Villa with Butler service but now i'm a bit anxious because of all the write ups that I have seen saying they took some of the perks away.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ??Excursions??

I assume that you're staying at the Sandals Grande, if so and you're thinking of only one trip then I must suggest Dunn's River Falls. The Catamaran is a good idea. The Black River tour (South Coast) is a full day and maybe a long haul for a 6 night stay. If you decide to do something additional and see some of the island then check out www.jamaicaxplored.com

Edited: 18 February 2013, 22:27
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ??Excursions??

The Butler changes at SGR are not a big deal. They just aren't reserving chairs at the pool or beach due to the number of Butler guests there are going to be now. I would assume that is not the only reason you booked a Butler. All other services are the same as before.

In my opinion, I don't like Dunn's River Falls. Keep in mind I live about an hour from Niagara Falls, and don't like it either. People hold hands and climb slippery rocks up a water fall. Not my idea of fun. We walked the stairs next to it, and while it was a fairly good work out, and was a very hot day, I would never do it again. I took lots of pictures, and they are kind of pretty to look at, but not worth a few hours of my vacation, in my opinion.

The catamaran is fun, and both of them that we have gone on were free. I am vegetarian, so can't eat much of the food, and the drinks are the same as you would get on resort. One boat ride, everyone danced on the way back and that was fun. This last one, no one would dance, so only a few of us did, so it wasn't as fun.

Dunn's River Fall's has reviews on here. I would read them first. If it sounds fun to you, it probably would be. We had been to Ocho Rios 6 times, and that was the first time we went (for free) and we'd never go again.

The South Coast one sounds fun, but would be far from where you are staying. Mystic Mountain and Dolphin Cove are near by if either of them interest you. We loved swimming with dolphins, but it is kind of pricey.

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Dolphin Cove
Dolphin Cove
3,056 Reviews
Jamaica
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ??Excursions??

For me the prettiest thigns to do in teh area are BLUE HOLES ALLDAY!!!!!!

Eureka, ill
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ??Excursions??

We just got back yesterday. We tokk one trip off the resort also. We took the blue mountain bike tour. It is truly a down hill ride thru the blue mountains the views are great, the ride is easy, they feed you brunch and lunch on the trip. For us the best part was it goes up in the mountains to see how people live away from us tourists. Very interesting to see would highly recommend. We get tired of touristy atrractions.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ??Excursions??

Kingston is very interesting too, especially the visit of TUFF GONG

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ??Excursions??

If you are doing only one I would choose the catermaran Dunns Falls of those you listed.

It would be fairly close to your resort and you won't waste to much of your vacation.

Bring water shoes if you have them.

Iroquois, Ontario...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ??Excursions??

Hi just wondering are the blue holes around by negril side? As we are staying at the grande riveria side. If so that's a long drive over there right?