We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

Wyoming...
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

I have finally decided to stay in the Ocho Rios area for our excurisons. I have contacted a few vendors. We have found what we are looking for in the day. Cliff diving, rope swing, river boarding, hidden gems/falls, the unbeaton path, beef patties, place to eat w/ delicious lobster and seafood. Any suggestions!!! Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

My favorite hidden gem is at the end of the tour of Shaw Park Botanical Gardens ask to see the source of the falls. This hike will take you past Keith Richards house through the tiny village of Spring Peace to the spring. I think I paid an extra $10usd to the guide and was one of my fondest memories of Ochie.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

Make sure to checkout the drivers and tour operators shown on The List in the upper right corner of this page. They are all Red Plate and insured. Also, they have been used by and recommended by TA regulars.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

BLue Holes are one of my favorites. Many of the hidden gems are not so hidden anymore just fyi. Although there are a few if you know the right people. The list mentioned above is good but confusing and it is at times easier to just ask on the forum.

Wyoming...
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

I checked out the list, what do you guys think about Pete Taylor? I do want a private tour and for the guide to stay with us the entire time and not leave to do another tour are fit it in. So I'm worried with my group of just 3 might not get the

Best guide. Thinking more people, more bang for your buck. I want to have someone we can become friends with and we don't feel like a burden on them and someone that can relate to my very outgoing son turning 13 who you never know what he is gonna say but usually its hilarious, if you're easy going. So what about Pete Taylor? Thanks!

Edited: 04 March 2013, 15:38
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

We have not used him personally, but have heard good comments.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

There are quite a few recommended drivers on the list and it's worth contacting a few for comparisons. I personally recommend Winston Aarons, we spent hours and travelled many miles with him.

He is a family man with teenagers of his own. Very friendly, from the area (so knows about the Blue Hole) and will be happy to help you plan a tour that suits you, will make recommendations if you want them and tells you a lot about the places you go to and pass through. He's great company and will dedicate himself to you and goes out of his way to help you to get the most from your time.

He is fully JUTA registered, drives an air conditioned people carrier, is very safe, watchful over his customers plus his rates are very fair. His details are on the drivers list but you can email him on winston.taxi@yahoo.com or by cell (876) 846 5026.

I hope that you have a great time. I recommend the Blue Hole by the way!

Jane

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

Winston is on The List, as Jane L says, check out several of the drivers.

Wyoming...
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

when I click that list to the right, I seem to be only getting Whitehall & Negril area tour guides, I need Ocho Rio's area tour guides. What am I do wrong?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

Ignore the title, The List is much more then just WH and Negril. The title was set long ago and TA doesn't let you change it. There are OR tours and drivers.

Glenside...
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Operator and hidden places to visit??

I can personally recommend Peat Taylor. He took my wife and I to the Lumminous Lagoon last summer. He was great conversation, told us about the area etc... It's a family run business and I believe his sons also drive sometimes. He advised us on places to eat etc... and took us to Scotchies. He came in to make sure we were fine when we made a late nite stop at a small convience store (and were clearly the only non-locals); definetly felt like we became "friends" and didn't feel like a burden. He can definetly help you find excursions you may be interested in. Have fun!