We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Any thoughts on comparison?

For the villas... trying to decide which to book...

We like the Bougainvillea villa because it's a separate bedroom, but there's no guarantee for a somewhat private balcony area.

The entry level- Estate Poolside looks to have the private balcony, but then you are giving up space in the room.

These rooms are both about the same price right now, so I just wondered if anyone has stayed in both, or has thoughts of additional perks on each villa type.

Also, we've been to both SN and to SWH, but this is our first to SGR... We really liked Negril and we LOVED SWH... we know SGR will be much different than both of those, but I'm sure we'll love it too- That said- I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on how you feel it compares...

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

We are booked for the Bougainvillea villa for September and thought about changing to Estate Poolside because it was cheaper--- but I decided I like having a seperate living area. They have a TV in both the bedroom and the living area and sometimes my husband goes to bed earlier then me and I like to stay up and watch TV.

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
769 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

We have been to SN and multiple times to SGR. It really is an apples to oranges thing to try and compare. Great beach at SN smaller property, fewer dining choices and number of pools. Had a great time there though. SGR is like two different resorts. Much more "active" on the Riviera side and my wife loved the view of the Caribbean from the upper floors of the Riviera bldg. Our last trip we seemed to spend more time on the Manor side so we will stay there this time in the Orchid Oceanview room. I booked this way before the other villas became butler. This is a special "anniversary" for us so that is why I chose butler. And unlike Mficke, I get up way earlier than the better half so with a separate living area I won't have to go out for my morning coffee.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Thanks Tully and mficke! We decided to take advantage of the great sale and go with the bougainvillea. My husband and I are pretty much on the same schedule sleep wise, but the extra room will be nice.

Since you've both been to SGR often, can you tell me anything about your favorites? What keeps you going back to the same resort? I'd love any insight you have!

Thanks!!!

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

It's a beautiful resort and the employees are amazing!! You can be as active as you want to be or as laid back as you want. My husband is a golfer, so that is the main draw for us as he plays every day when we are there. So many choices for restaurants ---- Kimonos requires a reservation so make one as soon as possible --- although the food is average, the entertainment by the chef during dinner is fun ---especially if you can get Tex as your chef ---he is the best!! We always stay on the Manor side --- secluded and quiet ---but we usually spend our days over on the beach side.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Hi Travel - we started going in 1995 when it was just the ocean side of the resort and they expanded up to the manor in the 2000's sometime when it was Ciboney then it was Beaches now it is all SGR. We are not huge beach people to lay out there but do enjoy looking at it, we hang out at the pools most time and there are several to pick from. What attracted us to Ocho Rios is the true "Garden of Eden" feel. It is very lush and tropical. We have made many friends at this resort that either work there, have worked there and also guests that have visited there and continue to do so. We always say we are going to try another resort and we will eventually try Negril for the sunsets. I also feel that Ocho Rios has a lot to offer regarding excursions which we have done plenty of them.

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

I forgot to add as far as the rooms. We have most times stayed in the Bamboo Grove on the Beach side but have also tried a few manor villa's from time to time. We also like walking back and forth from the manor down to beach and so on. We like staying on the bottom floor of villas to walk out to the pool and also like having a living room. 25 days will be there!

Mentioned in this post
Bamboo Beach
Bamboo Beach
284 Reviews
Jamaica
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Laurie. 25 days!!! I know you're excited. I'm super excited and I have months to go--- it will keep me going, though- I love having a trip to look forward to. I am very excited about all of the pools- and one right by the room! :) I was happy you said you love it for the gardens... I was attracted to that b/c it looked even more lush than Negril or SWH.

Negril had some pretty sunsets, but SWH knocked it out of the park... and we went to both at the same time of year. If you decide to go somewhere else, look into SWH before making your final decision. Overall, we liked SWH much better. If you're interested, I have very detailed reviews of both resorts if you go to my contributions... and if you are pool people- I'd definitely recommend SWH!!! Negril is WAY weaker in that area imo.

mficke- My husband also golfs and has started to look into it- not sure if he will or not, but glad to hear your husband loves the course enough to go back again and again. I'll pass that on! We loved the Kimono's in Negril- was so much fun, so we'll definitely make reservations right away.

Y'all are great! I'll take whatever advice or thoughts that come to you!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Travel, you might also want to check out this FB page if you are on FB that is a Fans page if you have not seen it yet. https:/…179766952072250

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Thanks Laurie- yes! I love BSBgirl's contributions. She has helped a lot in our decision to go to SGR as well as my final decision on the room... she's heading to SWH for the first time soon- I hope she and her husband will love it as much as we did!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SGR- villa comparison/resort comparison

Thanks Laurie! And TFW! Glad I could help you! :)

It is definitely lush and tropical. There are trees and flowers around all of the roads on the villa side, and we when we walk, we look at all of them and take pictures. Both sides of the resort really have lot of trees, etc. You could really tell right after the hurricane, too. They lost a lot of trees, but there were still a lot there, and they looked kind of sad and droopy from the storm. I'm sure they are all back to being green and happy looking now :)